1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Can I become a dentist?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Chson, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Chson

Chson Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm a Junior in Computer Engineering and will probably graduate with a 2.5 GPA if I'm lucky.

Do I have to start my college career over with a major in Biology and a GPA over 3.5 to have a chance?

Is there a "post-bac" program for aspiring dental students like there is for medical? If so, is it enough for a 2.5 student like myself to have a shot at getting into a dental school?

What should I do?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Regina330

Regina330 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Did you take the required classes to get into dental school (Bio, Chem, Organic, Physics?) You will need those. And I am not sure where you are from, but I know that UCSF has a 1 year program for people who did not get into dental school or who want to do some "pre-dental" work before applying. Apparently, they have a 95% or higher placement rate into dent school afterwards. I don't know all of the details, but it is something you might want to look into.

4. Chson

Chson Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I didn't take any of those science classes (except for Physics 1-3). Even if I did and were to get 4.0's in them all I'd still end up with a cumulative GPA of 2.5. I guess it's hopeless. Good luck to you bro.

5. lildentalboi

lildentalboi Junior Member

HI! You need to take the bio, chem, etc...classes before you can think about being a denists as they are required for entry into most, if not all, dental school. Also, dental schools seem to look at your major/class schedule and university. If you have taken 20 hrs with most hard comp eng. classes then they might understand since that is such a hard major. Also, if you go to a reputable univ. then they understand that the classes are harder than community colleges. But, first things first, you gotta take those required classes.....but good luck and you might think about calling the admissions people at dental schools to get a more accurate answer...do you have experience in dentistry?

6. Chson

Chson Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the reply dude but it looks like I have to stick with the IT field. I was just looking for an "easy" way into dental school but like most good things in life.. they require hard work!