Can I change my MPH Specialty later on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2BeDentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I searched for this question beforehand but I didn't find any anwers so here I am again... well, as I've said in other posts, I am applying to SPH schools for Fall 2007 but I'm in such a fix regarding the specialty I would like to study. Right now I am most leaning towards Health Behavior and Education (ugrad major was psych) but at the same time I'm thinking about Health Admin/Management Policy. Per my research, the latter clearly has the most $$$. And just FYI, I am planning on being fully focused with a career in Public Health... no med school, dental school afterwards (though my screen name indicates othervise but that's an outdated, long story which I won't get into :laugh: ). So basically... I am not sure what specialty I should choose.

I was wondering: Will I be able to change my specialty later on? Like, say I apply to schools with Health Behavior and Eduation, get into programs.... but later, I opt to do Health Policy/Admin? Do programs easily change/switch?

Such a dilemma... please lend me some advice. :confused:

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

depends on the school and individual programs. Where I did my MPH, there were only 2 classes that were required regardless of area of emphasis, so if you changed areas you'd essentially be starting over.

Alot of schools allow you to change concentrations and some schools will even let you have dual concentrations.

Depends on the school, but at emory (where I am now) you have to petition for the switch. BUT as long as you're not failing out and you have a good reason to switch then it seems like it is not too difficult to do so.