Can I count my internship as volunteering hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qkhb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This seems like a complicated setup to me, so I thought I would ask your all's opinion.

Next academic year I will be doing a 10-12 hour a week internship for 4 credits per semester, and no pay. This will be at the university hospital's cancer center. The role is education-based, so it will involve needs assessments for patients, organizing and implementing education/outreach, etc. Can I count this as non-clinical volunteering? Or no, since I am receiving credit for it? It's a good experience and I plan to do it regardless, but I am also concerned about my volunteer hours.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have seen people list activities as "non-clinical, volunteer" only to find out from a LOR that it was a required activity for a course. There are also classes that give credit for what is essentially shadowing opportunities and students list those on the applications, too.

Thank you for your response, really appreciate your input!

I have seen people list activities as "non-clinical, volunteer" only to find out from a LOR that it was a required activity for a course.

Hmm, I think this is the boat I would fall in: my "volunteering" is required for me to get my credit for the internship. If I am understanding you correctly, it is inadvisable to list this experience as "non-clinical, volunteer". None of the other categories seem to fit, so I guess I would list it is an "other" experience.