Can I count this as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AtlanticPacific

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question that I couldn't quite find an existing answer to on SDN. Last summer I served as a volunteer in a memory loss program affiliated with the hospital that I volunteered at for the prior 2 years. However, this program was at an outpatient center where there were no doctors/PA's/nurses or any medical professionals in the outpatient center. Additionally, the people that I worked with were referred to as clients specifically and not patients.
It really was a lot of fun! I got to work with about 10-13 clients and would serve food (breakfast/lunch), lead a physical activities hour and facilitate trivia and recall activities (designed by the faculty who were all social workers).

Taking LizzyM's famed advice into consideration (If you are close enough to smell patients then it is a clinical experience.), I'm not sure if this should be considered medical or non-medical volunteering experience.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

-AtlanticPacific

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
sounds like a neat experience, but no, i would not classify it as clinical

Reactions: 1 user