Can I do IVF if I don't get into an OB residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tallaznCstudnt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the licenses I need to get to do IVF if I end up in a FM residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if possible. The standard for most fertility practices and hospitals is an REI fellowship-trained OB/Gyn, and REI fellowships are accredited through ABOG. While there are AAFP-accredited fellowships for obstetrics and for women's health, I don't think these would give you scope to practice IVF and other assisted reproduction methods. You can always look through the AAFP fellowship directory to see what's available or ask folks in the family med forum.

As a Family Practitioner, depending on where you practiced, you would likely be able to work up infertility with things like semen analyses and HSGs. You could possibly even get privileges to perform laparoscopy. You would also be able to give clomid for ovulation induction. And that's about it. It's the rare non-REI-certified OB/GYNs who gets to do things like intrauterine insemination (IUI), let alone IVF. That's not going to happen for an FP. Any place that has the resources to support a full REI practice will not be using an FP for those things.

As a Family Practitioner, depending on where you practiced, you would likely be able to work up infertility with things like semen analyses and HSGs. You could possibly even get privileges to perform laparoscopy. You would also be able to give clomid for ovulation induction. And that's about it. It's the rare non-REI-certified OB/GYNs who gets to do things like intrauterine insemination (IUI), let alone IVF. That's not going to happen for an FP. Any place that has the resources to support a full REI practice will not be using an FP for those things.
I suspect the bolded is one of those things that technically happens, but is super rare.

Otherwise, I'm with you 100% on this. If you want to do infertility, go to an OB/GYN residency. My opinion is that outside rare circumstances, FPs really shouldn't even be doing clomid.

Aside: does this count as a double post since this was also in the FM forum?

Reactions: 1 user