Can I fix this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avala

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated may '10 with a B.S. in Cognitive Neuroscience & minor in psychology. I'm a 22yr old white F, first gen college grad. I decided at the beginning of my 3rd year that I wanted to go to med school so I started my pre-requisites rather late in the game.

From my 1st to 3rd year my grades were consistently good, with an upward trend. I had straight A's & A-'s in all my science classes with the exception of a B in calc. But then in my 4th year I struggled with serious depression and a ridiculous amount of difficulties and upheaval in my personal life. Because of this my grades reallllly suffered. The only two science classes taken during my 4th year were organic chem 1 & 2, I got a C in the first, and an F in the second because I couldn't even get out of bed to go to class or exams. I know that I would need to retake orgo 2, but do you think it would be necesary/advantageous to retake orgo 1 as well?

Before 4th year:
cGPA:3.67
sGPA:3.73

After 4th year (as of graduation):
cGPA:3.33
sGPA:3.43

Basically I'm wondering how harshly admissions committees would judge me considering I have a legitimate reason for my senior year performance. Do I still have a shot at getting into an MD/DO program or did I completely blow it? What do I need to do to fix this.. can I compensate with extracirriculars/experience? How far will a kick-ass MCAT score go to make up for my GPA?

Any input/suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Adcomms are understanding of difficult life circumstance, but that doesn't mean you don't have to redeem the situation with more great grades and a steep upward grade trend before you apply to demonstrate your full recovery. It seems to me that retaking both OChems is a good idea to ensure that you have mastered the material well enough to excel on the MCAT.

For DO applications, AACOMAS only includes the most recent grade if you retake, provided the credit hours are the same or greater (need not be at the same school). This would remove the C and F from inclusion in your application GPA for DO schools outside of Texas.

For MD, AMCAS includes all grades earned in their calculations, so retakes are handled the same as if you'd taken new coursework. A year of full-time, straight A coursework could get you to a GPA of 3.47, which, with a strong MCAT score, could make you competitive for some MD programs.

Alternatively, after retaking OChem, getting in some upper-level Bio classes, and taking the MCAT, you might apply to an SMP (Special Masters Program). With excellent academics there (3.5-3.7+) your uGPA would be overridden, and you might get into an MD program.

All the above scenarios assume good ECs, compelling Personal Statement, supportive LORs, and good interview skills.