Can I get enough hours to apply next cycle or should I wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplepuppy391

Reaction score
I got my MCAT score a month ago and have been working on a postbacc. I still need to get recent clinical and non-clinical volunteering and shadowing. I’m torn between whether I should apply in the next cycle (2023) or if i should just wait until the following one (2024). My issue is I work full-time in a non-clinical job and live in a fairly expensive area for my fiancé’s job. I am a nontrad who qualifies for FAP, so I’m hesitant on spending money this cycle if my hours are gonna get me screened out.

These are the current options I’m thinking about:

Option 1: keep my current job and just get hours on the weekend (volunteer 1X a week each for 4 hours) and apply in May/June 2023.

This would get me 80 hours each (clinical & non-clinical) by the end of May and around 96 by the end of June. I feel like these hours are really low and going to get me screened out. I could focus on getting just clinical hours on the weekend which would put me closer to 160-200 and see if I can squeeze in non-clinical during the week I’m worried about trying to do my postbacc, working, volunteering, and working on my application at the same time.

Option 2: look for a clinical job and get non-clinical hours on the weekend and apply June 2023.

The issue with this option is I don’t have any certification and from the jobs I’ve seen for scribing pay close to minimum wage ($15-16/hour) and I make over $20/hour now. I’m also 29 and the idea of taking a $15/hour job is depressing. Full time for 5-6 months would put me at around 1000 clinical hours and at least 160-200 non-clinical hours.

Option 3: keep my current job and just get hours on the weekend (volunteer 1X a week each for 4 hours) and apply in May/June 2024

This would put me at around 300 hours (once a week) or 600 hours (twice a week). Doing this would also give me more time to focus on my post bacc classes now without stressing about my application.

Option 4: look for a clinical job after I finish my post-bacc courses and get non-clinical hours on the weekend and apply May/June 2024.

This would put me at around 2000 clinical hours and for non-clinical around 300 hours (once a week) or 600 hours (twice a week).

If anyone knows of more obscure jobs that pay better than scribing please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Get significant clinical hours. Taking a $15/hr job for a few months is worth it if it gets you into med school.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes, option 2 is the only way to make it potentially work for the upcoming cycle. Otherwise, wait another year.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any previous clinical or non clinical volunteering or shadowing hours ?
I have around 50 hours of clinical volunteering hours from when I was in undergrad, but I graduated 7 years ago. Regular volunteering is probably around 20 hours. 8-10 hours of shadowing.

Get significant clinical hours. Taking a $15/hr job for a few months is worth it if it gets you into med
Are you saying just do it for five months til I apply and then quit? I assume you would want to keep the job until acceptances which would be more than a few months. It would be like a year.

I need to go over our finances with my fiancé, but he is working on a postdoc salary and the area we live in SoCal which has high rent…and we live in one of the cheaper options already. I’m not sure if we could make it work with a significant pay cut.

Clinical research coordinator positions pay over $20 per hour. They enable you to obtain both clinical and research hours, and shadow physicians at the hospital where you work.

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
Are you saying just do it for five months til I apply and then quit? I assume you would want to keep the job until acceptances which would be more than a few months. It would be like a year.

I need to go over our finances with my fiancé, but he is working on a postdoc salary and the area we live in SoCal which has high rent…and we live in one of the cheaper options already. I’m not sure if we could make it work with a significant pay cut.
If you can’t make it with a pay cut, then you will have to be resigned to having it take longer. Possibly more than one year longer. Finish your postbacc and then look for a clinical job.

Clinical research coordinator positions pay over $20 per hour. They enable you to obtain both clinical and research hours, and shadow physicians at the hospital where you work.
I have been eyeing those jobs, so I’ll def take a closer look!

Reactions: 1 users
Just be aware that, depending on the duties, it is neither research nor clinical. Often it is regulatory paperwork required for clinical trials and handling phone conversations with research participants and potential participants. You won't be generating and testing hypotheses or even handling data in any meaningful way. And you won't necessarily be having face time with patients. Just be careful when you look at clinical research coordinator jobs.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Just be aware that, depending on the duties, it is neither research nor clinical. Often it is regulatory paperwork required for clinical trials and handling phone conversations with research participants and potential participants. You won't be generating and testing hypotheses or even handling data in any meaningful way. And you won't necessarily be having face time with patients. Just be careful when you look at clinical research coordinator jobs.
Okay that’s good to know! Thank you!

Ty everyone for the advice! I’m going to see if I might be able to volunteer in the evening so I could collect more hours after work.