Can i get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnMathews

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i'm a Canadian applicant and my GPA is only 3.3 and my MCAT score was 26P. I got 8VR and 9 on the other 2 parts. Do i have a chance at any DO schools?
And if i do, which ones?

Members don't see this ad.

No, I'll say there's no chance at all. For a Canadian applicant, you'd need to be above the average. You can do retakes until you hit 3.6 and a >28 MCAT.

So what would you say the minimum MCAT scores and GPA requirements are for a Canadian resident applying to a DO school? and a MD school just for the sake of it?

Members don't see this ad :)
what would you say the minimum MCAT scores and GPA requirements are for a Canadian resident applying to . . . MD school just for the sake of it?
Data from AAMC: In 2010, of 1340 international applicants without a US state of residence (991 from Canada +349 all other) only 14.9% matriculated to a US med school (86 Canadian + 105 all other), whereas 43.6% of total applicants did matriculate.

2010 Mean stats for Canadians matriculating at US schools: MCAT 33.4+/- 3.5, cGPA 3.74 +/- .22, BCPM GPA 3.75 +/-.23

2010 Mean stats for all other internationals who matriculated:
MCAT 33.0 +/- 4.2, cGPA 3.76 +/-.18, BCPM GPA 3.74 +/- .26

2010 Mean stats for all matriculants:
MCAT 31.1 +/- 4.1, cGPA 3.67 +/- .26, BCPM GPA 3.61 +/- .32

No, I'll say there's no chance at all. For a Canadian applicant, you'd need to be above the average. You can do retakes until you hit 3.6 and a >28 MCAT.
OP, Do you understand what has been referred to here? AACOMAS, the DO application service, only includes the most recent grade if you retake a class (if the credit hours are the same or greater, need not be at the same school). This is a fast way to raise a subpar GPA. MD schools just average all grades together. Did you take any classes over?