Can I get into a American dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shayanH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am a Canadian student. What are my chances to get into an American dental school with these stats.

OVERALL GPA : 3.56
SCIENCE GPA : 3.60

I am planning to take DAT in Jan. Is my GPA competitive or I need to raise it even more?

Members don't see this ad.

Looks alright so far. Although I hear Canadian GPA's are inflated (don't flame me). However your application is more than a couple GPAs. Take your DAT and then you will have a better idea. You also need EC stuff.

As long as you went to a major University, your GPA is good to go at Canadian/international friendly schools!

And as mentioned above, ECs (volunteering, shadowing, research etc.) are quite important too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks alright so far. Although I hear Canadian GPA's are inflated (don't flame me). However your application is more than a couple GPAs. Take your DAT and then you will have a better idea. You also need EC stuff.

No reason to flame you, since it's true. They're inflated by AADSAS to compensate for the difficult grading scales at our universities.

OP - if that's your Canadian undergrad GPA, it'll likely go up a few points when you convert it to an AADSAS GPA. So that section of your application is fine.

If thats your CAN GPA, you could have a good chance in US dental schools, providing you do well on the DAT. That is much too low for CAN dental schools tho, which is a bummer.

Mine will be 3.8 Canadian GPA and i won't even get an interview for Ontario schools :(

How is it inflated? isnt a B+ 3.33 for all, American and Canadian?

Ya i saw that but that still doesnt explain how AADSAS is going to calculate it!! All we enter is our B, B+ and A marks which correspond to specific numbers at the end. does AADSAS care that your are from canada? I dont think so

Ya i saw that but that still doesnt explain how AADSAS is going to calculate it!! All we enter is our B, B+ and A marks which correspond to specific numbers at the end. does AADSAS care that your are from canada? I dont think so

Schools know where you are from.

I see. I did go to an Optometry school session with my friend last year and the director of admission said they add 0.2 to canadian GPAs when looking at the files and i COULD not believe it although she said right in front me.......you think dental is like that too Maygyver?

I see. I did go to an Optometry school session with my friend last year and the director of admission said they add 0.2 to canadian GPAs when looking at the files and i COULD not believe it although she said right in front me.......you think dental is like that too Maygyver?

Not sure. I would think they would just be thought of as international applicants.