Can i get into a california pharmacy school straight out of community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

koh1995

hey everyone

if i finish all my prereqs for pharmacy school at community college can i apply and get in?
i am currently finishing up calculus and gen chem 1. and going to finish all my requirements by the end of the next year.

if i can apply do i have to apply after i complete all prereqs or can i apply before i finish them in november 2014 and finish them in june 2015?

Members don't see this ad.

Apply next November. You don't need all your prereqs done when you apply. Just make sure it isn't more than 3 or so to do between January 2015 and July2015.

I thought California shcools required a bachelors......

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Apply next November. You don't need all your prereqs done when you apply. Just make sure it isn't more than 3 or so to do between January 2015 and July2015.

i think im only going to be able to apply to western university of Health Sciences because I will have the most prereqs done for that school in california.
im hopefully going to have the following completed by January 2015:

College English
English Composition
General Chemistry (I&II) with Lab
Organic Chemistry (I) with Lab
Human Anatomy with Lab
Speech Communication
Calculus
Electives

Which leaves me with the rest of the prereqs which i will hopefully have done by the end of July 2015.

Organic Chemistry (II) with Lab
Human Physiology with Lab
Microbiology with Lab (med micro preferred)
Biochemistry (lab optional)

what are my chances of getting in?
i hear for pharmacy school most of it is the interview right?
or is it based more off of GPA?

Gpa gets you in the door. I suggest you take the pcat so you can be more competitive to out if state schools. If you don't want to do that find other schools that don't take pcat. Oregon state, pacific university in oregon, I think MCPHS in mass..... there are a few more. Your pre reqs look thorough enough to apply to most schools. Get some experience too, it is really important

You will not get in any Cali Schools without your bachelors.

Gpa gets you in the door. I suggest you take the pcat so you can be more competitive to out if state schools. If you don't want to do that find other schools that don't take pcat. Oregon state, pacific university in oregon, I think MCPHS in mass..... there are a few more. Your pre reqs look thorough enough to apply to most schools. Get some experience too, it is really important

the only reason i do not want to take my pcat is because i will not have all the courses tested on the pcat done by the time i apply.
what should i do?

the only reason i do not want to take my pcat is because i will not have all the courses tested on the pcat done by the time i apply.
what should i do?
There's no point in applying to California schools without your bachelor... You won't even be considered. Go get you bachelors or take pcat which is not hard, and apply to out of state

There's no point in applying to California schools without your bachelor... You won't even be considered. Go get you bachelors or take pcat which is not hard, and apply to out of state

if i do not take all the prerequisites for the PCAT then will I be ready for it?
If i could do that then I would also want to apply to USN because i would have most of their requirements done by January 2015:

General Chemistry I
General Chemistry II
Organic Chemistry I
Human Anatomy
Calculus I
English Composition
Speech

I would only have these three classes left and will have them completed by the end of july 2015.
Microbiology
Human Physiology
Organic Chemistry II

If i want to apply to pharmacy school when is good to take the PCAT? before i apply right? if so, during what time should i take it? (august 2014, september, etc..)

Either july or september dates. Not November unless it is for a retake

will i be ready for the PCAT at all if i have taken no bio's up to that points and barely starting ochem?
You can get away with not having taken Ochem since the PCAT's ochem stuff is pretty basic and you can teach yourself. But not taking any bio or physio by that point you'd probably do pretty poorly. Most of the PCAT's bio section is basically upper div bio and physiology. Get through physio and microbio before taking it.

Material can be self taught. Get study guides and practice tests. You mean roseman right? Usn changed its name.

I took the PCAT without taking Physiology or Biochemistry, and on my PCAT test (September 2013) the biology section was basically ALL physiology! I still ended up with an 84 in the section, so its still possible! There are a bunch of study books and guides that you can use to enhance your studies!

I agree with others here about needing a Bachelor's degree. Most of the California schools require it, but just do your research on other schools that don't require it and see if you still can or want to apply to them! I would also recommend looking at nearby states too for pharmacy school as well. Also make sure that the schools you are interested in will allow community college classes for credit, because I know that a few schools only want credits from a 4-year accredited university. Good Luck!

I took it out without anatomy physio and micro and did good. But this was more than 3 years ago. Things may have changed.

Some CA schools even as recent as 3 years ago took students without a BA/BS, I haven't kept up, so you need to ask the school, not internet people. Also, with the new batch of schools opening up in CA, the only prerequisite you need is a pulse, maybe.

Reactions: 1 user