toast861

Carpetbagger
10+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2009
left of nowhere
Status
Pre-Medical
I really am trying to get into an SMP for 2010. I've got a cGPA of 2.88 thanks to a lot of BSing it on my part. I'm really EVMS or Cincy. Do I even have a chance at that? If not, how do I get my GPA up?

KiwiBruin

People call me KB.
10+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2008
Southern California
Status
Pre-Medical
I would try to take some classes before you apply to those programs. Try taking some summer classes or classes in the fall. Applying in January seems good. Also, since you seem like a URM (from MdApps), I would consider the many URM programs listed on Dr.Midlife's SMP list. They usually have lower standards and better linkage. I would use whatever advantage that would given to me and those seem really awesome. =]

Good luck.

Parthenon89

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
a 3.0 and up would probably be ideal but i think you can still probably work with the 2.88 for now, are you an upcoming senior?

if so, work on getting a 4.0 your up coming semesters it'll really boost you up, you MCAT looks pretty good tho.

btw, if you apply URM or something along the lines of that, Drexel DPMS is a good program for you. I think it says that those ending with a 3.0 will matriculate into their med school the next year..that sounds like a pretty good deal to me if you ask.

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I really am trying to get into an SMP for 2010. I've got a cGPA of 2.88 thanks to a lot of BSing it on my part. I'm really EVMS or Cincy. Do I even have a chance at that? If not, how do I get my GPA up?
Before you spend $50k on an SMP, prove to yourself that you can get straight A's in another year of undergrad. Don't set yourself up to get admitted to a program (like an SMP) in which you're not ready to succeed.

Pedsbro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2008
Midwest (But always a Cali kid at heart)
Status
Fellow [Any Field]

EVMS, maybe. Cincy, definitely not. That program has become way too competitive now for a cGPA of 2.88 and a sciGPA of around a 2.4 (according to your MDapps). Plus a below 30 MCAT doesn't help anyone overlook that GPA. As others have said, an organized post-bac would probably be better (there are some specifically for URMs too). You need more undergrad coursework and really need to bring up those GPAs to 3.0 or more. Good luck.

plausible

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
Status
Before you spend $50k on an SMP, prove to yourself that you can get straight A's in another year of undergrad. Don't set yourself up to get admitted to a program (like an SMP) in which you're not ready to succeed.
I had a 2.8 GPA out of undergrad. I did exactly what DrMidlife has told you, but for 2 years. It's going to be a slow process, but don't give up. :thumbup: