This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chances of getting into Dental school with low undergrad GPA and High masters GPA?

• Total voters

dentdream93

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first time applying to dental school, I waited till I was ready, which is now hopefully.
I graduated undergrad with a gpa of 2.68 in a BS in Biological sciences. My science gpa was pretty bad bc I failed a couple science course a few times due to some personal life and personal life events. Then right out of undergrad, I continued and did my MA in Biomedical science and got a 3.53 in one year. I know that overall the amount of classes i took in one year won't have a huge effect on my overall gpa. But I've done 4 years of dental assisting experience as an undergrad. I currently work for one of the DENTAL schools in their clinic working as a sterilization assistant. I worked as a pharmacy tech as well in undergrad. I volunteered greatly and was active in my undergrad predental club. During my sophmore summer I got accepted and participated in the Summer Medical and Dental Educational Program (SMDEP). I've done well over 1000 hours of dental shadowing and experience. Im planning on apply this cycle for the 2018 year. I plan on taking my DAT this July and starting my application right away in June so I can apply early.

Is there a chance I can get into Dental School???

My GPA is really getting to me and I regret so much that I went to such a huge university with over 300+ student in the classroom. I am not proud of my undergraduate gpa and finishing my master i am really hoping that will help me a bit even though it wont greatly affect my gpa.

Pros:
Masters GPA 3.53
Ton's of experience (currently working at one of the dental school clinics) (Also it is my #1 choice)

Cons:
Undergrad GPA 2.68
Fail multiple science course (Repeated a few, got a few D's that made me repeat)

~~~~Still working on my personal statement which I have no idea if I should include any of this? and I plan on taking my DAT this July which I am just starting to study for.

HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

Your master's GPA is average so I'm not sure that it will do a whole lot to make up for your undergrad GPA. They do calculate graduate and undergraduate GPAs separately so that may help you out. I can't remember if they also do a cumulative - I think they do. Do you know what your science GPA is specifically? I'd say your dental experience will help. You really need to aim to do super well on your DAT and you might have a chance.

Reactions: 1 user
Should puut a low chance and a maybe as options on your poll

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

This is my first time applying to dental school, I waited till I was ready, which is now hopefully.
I graduated undergrad with a gpa of 2.68 in a BS in Biological sciences. My science gpa was pretty bad bc I failed a couple science course a few times due to some personal life and personal life events. Then right out of undergrad, I continued and did my MA in Biomedical science and got a 3.53 in one year. I know that overall the amount of classes i took in one year won't have a huge effect on my overall gpa. But I've done 4 years of dental assisting experience as an undergrad. I currently work for one of the DENTAL schools in their clinic working as a sterilization assistant. I worked as a pharmacy tech as well in undergrad. I volunteered greatly and was active in my undergrad predental club. During my sophmore summer I got accepted and participated in the Summer Medical and Dental Educational Program (SMDEP). I've done well over 1000 hours of dental shadowing and experience. Im planning on apply this cycle for the 2018 year. I plan on taking my DAT this July and starting my application right away in June so I can apply early.

Is there a chance I can get into Dental School???

My GPA is really getting to me and I regret so much that I went to such a huge university with over 300+ student in the classroom. I am not proud of my undergraduate gpa and finishing my master i am really hoping that will help me a bit even though it wont greatly affect my gpa.

Pros:
Masters GPA 3.53
Ton's of experience (currently working at one of the dental school clinics) (Also it is my #1 choice)

Cons:
Undergrad GPA 2.68
Fail multiple science course (Repeated a few, got a few D's that made me repeat)

~~~~Still working on my personal statement which I have no idea if I should include any of this? and I plan on taking my DAT this July which I am just starting to study for.

HELP!
I'm probably not in any position to help since I didn't do so well last application cycle. You seem really passionate about dentistry, so just go for it. Good Luck on your application, I'm rooting for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey op! At my Masters program we were told as long as we made a 3.5+ gpa and killed the DAT (I'm talking 19+ every section) we would have a chance. Of course adcoms don't just accept people based on stats but I'd say as long as you do really well on your DAT you should have a shot. I had a bad science gpa but a great masters and DAT helped me out big time. Best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can I ask what masters you did? Also I think you can get in with a good DAT score and good LOR's! You've shown you've grown and are committed!

You may have a good chance with a high DAT score. I’d say reach out to some of the schools that you’re interested and maybe get advice? Also you’re extremely passionate so when they look at your application that will help a lot. I’d highlight that in your PS and not dwell too much on the negative, because they can see that by looking at your transcripts. Praying you get in!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Pair that gpa and involvement in the field with a solid dat and you should be fine

At Barry’s BMS program, they tell us schools like to see 3.6 gpa or higher in your masters. You have a a lot of experience, which is a big plus.

1) Really strive for 21+ to make up for gpa. I recommend iprep. Look it up. $1700, but you seriously won’t regret it.
Orrrr boot camp is good as well but cheaper
2) Really consider Tufts. Dr. Kasberg is the kindest person on the planet and loves students who do masters programs. Maybe shoot him an email? I’m not sure how quickly he responds but I’ve met him when he has visited Barry.
3) Research schools that accept a good number of applicant with a masters

You can do it! Good luck!