Can I get into dental school without a bachelor's degree? (currently a D.H)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dollaga

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I currently have a certificate in dental assisting and an associate's degree in dental hygiene. I've recently decided that I want to become a dentist. I know that many people have said that the majority of my dental hygiene courses will not count towards dental schools pre-req's but I was wondering if it's possible for me to complete a year of pre-req's at a four year university like the University of Pennsylvania, then take the DAT and apply to dental school without my bachelors degree. I graduated with a 3.9 gpa and I took some additional courses in chemistry, physics and math. Optimistically speaking, let's say that I do well in my year of pre-req's at UoP and on the DAT. Is it possible to gain admission into dental school without having acquired my bachelor's degree first? (I'm 23 years old, if that plays any role in the decision making)

Thank you in advance for the answers!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I currently have a certificate in dental assisting and an associate's degree in dental hygiene. I've recently decided that I want to become a dentist. I know that many people have said that the majority of my dental hygiene courses will not count towards dental schools pre-req's but I was wondering if it's possible for me to complete a year of pre-req's at a four year university like the University of Pennsylvania, then take the DAT and apply to dental school without my bachelors degree. I graduated with a 3.9 gpa and I took some additional courses in chemistry, physics and math. Optimistically speaking, let's say that I do well in my year of pre-req's at UoP and on the DAT. Is it possible to gain admission into dental school without having acquired my bachelor's degree first? (I'm 23 years old, if that plays any role in the decision making)

At most (if not all) dental schools, you need a bachelor's degree prior to matriculation. Not for application purposes.

It would also be really hard to finish all of your pre req's in one year... At most schools you have to finish gen chem 1 and 2 before you take org chem 1 and 2. But maybe it could be done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,I currently have a certificate in dental assisting and an associate's degree in dental hygiene. I've recently decided that I want to become a dentist. I know that many people have said that the majority of my dental hygiene courses will not count towards dental schools pre-req's but I was wondering if it's possible for me to complete a year of pre-req's at a four year university like the University of Pennsylvania, then take the DAT and apply to dental school without my bachelors degree. I graduated with a 3.9 gpa and I took some additional courses in chemistry, physics and math. Optimistically speaking, let's say that I do well in my year of pre-req's at UoP and on the DAT. Is it possible to gain admission into dental school without having acquired my bachelor's degree first? (I'm 23 years old, if that plays any role in the decision making)Thank you in advance for the answers!
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=952937
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=942453

At most (if not all) dental schools, you need a bachelor's degree prior to matriculation. Not for application purposes.

You seem to have gotten this backwards; seven schools require a degree prior to matriculation. It would be so nice if the correct information was disseminated on SDN, but that would be Nirvana.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=952937
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=942453

You seem to have gotten this backwards; seven schools require a degree prior to matriculation. It would be so nice if the correct information was disseminated on SDN, but that would be Nirvana.

Well for his purposes, it's still valid. For application purposes, no you don't need one.

EDIT: You might want to update your spreadsheets doc and not be so quick to dismiss others, because I just looked up a few schools from my relatively small list of schools that I personally applied to and I found more than 7 to require a degree. I stopped at 8 to prove my point. Read the FAQs. I respect your excel compilations, but you're being sardonic and hypocritical.

Even outside of that, schools like LSU (without bachelors, not considered competitive), or UConn (over 99% of matriculated students have at least a B.S./B.A. degree, and considering UConn accepted 75 people, you can do the math) are basically saying to apply with a pending bachelor's degree prior to matriculation.

Last edited:
Well for his purposes, it's still valid. For application purposes, no you don't need one.
EDIT: You might want to update your spreadsheets doc and not be so quick to dismiss others, because I just looked up a few schools from my relatively small list of schools that I personally applied to and I found more than 7 to require a degree. I stopped at 8 to prove my point. Read the FAQs. I respect your excel compilations, but you're being sardonic and hypocritical.
Even outside of that, schools like LSU (without bachelors, not considered competitive), or UConn (over 99% of matriculated students have at least a B.S./B.A. degree, and considering UConn accepted 75 people, you can do the math) are basically saying to apply with a pending bachelor's degree prior to matriculation.

If you wished to point out that there have been some changes since the publication of the 2013 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools on the requirement for a degree before matriculation, it might have helped to list them. In any case, whether 7 or 8/(+) is the "current" number does not change the fact that "most (if not all)" do not require a bachelor degree.

If you wished to point out that there have been some changes since the publication of the 2013 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools on the requirement for a degree before matriculation, it might have helped to list them. In any case, whether 7 or 8/(+) is the "current" number does not change the fact that "most (if not all)" do not require a bachelor degree.

While I personally think the ADEA official guide is a great resource for any applicant, their updates on current information is not the best. One very conspicuous case in point, ADEA not only listed outdated information regarding supplementary applications for a few schools, but also the wrong fee info. So with that said, it shouldn't be a one-stop shop nor should it be a pre-dental bible that most acclaim it to be.

Thank you for the replies. If getting my bachelor's degree prior to applying to dental school is what needs to be done (in most cases) then I will surely take that route.

I know that many pre-dent students major in biology but I came across a thread where people were saying that having your bachelors in D.H may also be very helpful once you get into dental school (experience, summer job, etc.). I'm wondering if I should go through a degree completion program in D.H to get my bachelor's while taking the required pre-req's for dental school at the same time. I know that it would be a lot of hard work but I'd definitely be willing to put in the effort.

Opinions are definitely welcome! Should I get a bachelor's in bio or would it be beneficial to get my bachelor's in D.H?

While I personally think the ADEA official guide is a great resource for any applicant, their updates on current information is not the best. One very conspicuous case in point, ADEA not only listed outdated information regarding supplementary applications for a few schools, but also the wrong fee info. So with that said, it shouldn't be a one-stop shop nor should it be a pre-dental bible that most acclaim it to be.

Your information, on the other hand is updated and could pass as a pseudo bible.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. If getting my bachelor's degree prior to applying to dental school is what needs to be done (in most cases) then I will surely take that route.

I know that many pre-dent students major in biology but I came across a thread where people were saying that having your bachelors in D.H may also be very helpful once you get into dental school (experience, summer job, etc.). I'm wondering if I should go through a degree completion program in D.H to get my bachelor's while taking the required pre-req's for dental school at the same time. I know that it would be a lot of hard work but I'd definitely be willing to put in the effort.

Opinions are definitely welcome! Should I get a bachelor's in bio or would it be beneficial to get my bachelor's in D.H?

Bachelors in Bio would be most beneficial to get your pre req's in! But thats up to you

Hi Dollaga! If I were you, I'd go back and get your bachelor's in general science (or some other degree that allows you to complete all your pre-req's) and work as a hygienist while you're doing so. This gives you valuable work experience that will definitely help you in dental school while at the same time checking the "degree" box and allowing you to get your pre-req's done. A bachelor's in dental hygiene is fine, but it probably won't involve the upper division science classes that you need to have in order to apply for dental school. I doubt that a dental school will care whether or not your bachelor's is in DH if you're a practicing, licensed hygienist. You'll probably look like a more well-rounded candidate if it's not, really.

Hello,

Howdy,

While many d-schools clearly states that a bachelors is not required. The published statistics for an individual without a bachelor is statistically disappointing. Yes there are individuals that get into d-schools without a bachelor. But from what I've extrapolated from published statistics in conjunct with my analysis of the d-schools allowing these B.S.-less/B.A.-less individuals an acceptance, it's quite clear that these individuals were part of an early acceptance program where a d-school acceptance may not be contingent with the completion of a bachelors. To me, obtaining a bachelors prior to d-school is a de facto requirement, if any.

If you do get into UPenn/UoP:thumbup: to attain your bachelors with the proposed parameters, then you should have no problem gaining admissions to dental school; and this is neither optimistically nor pessimistically speaking. I'm sure you're tired of doing deep root; it's about time right?;)

Last edited:
I'll be honest. I've met a lot of qualified DH's that are applying to dental school. High DAT scores, great GPA, and they all have the shadowing. I don't know what it is, but the stats for DH's in dental school are always really good from what I've seen. But there always seems to be one at most per class (maybe 2 at the larger schools) and often less. It has lead me to believe that schools minimize the number of DH's going to dental school.

Thank you for all the honest replies. After reading all the feedback and doing a bit more research I've decided that I'm going to major in something besides dental hygiene for my bachelor's degree.

What more could I be doing right now to make myself a more competitive candidate when it comes to applying to dental school? I'm currently working in the dental field which is giving me valuable experience and I'm aware that I need to keep my gpa as high as possible, but should I also be volunteering, etc.?

Thank you for all the honest replies. After reading all the feedback and doing a bit more research I've decided that I'm going to major in something besides dental hygiene for my bachelor's degree.

What more could I be doing right now to make myself a more competitive candidate when it comes to applying to dental school? I'm currently working in the dental field which is giving me valuable experience and I'm aware that I need to keep my gpa as high as possible, but should I also be volunteering, etc.?
Why thanks!:)

If you really like DH why not settle for both? (http://dentistry.usc.edu/programs/dental-hygiene/dh-dds/) Since you already have experience in the dental field, you can definitely participate in non-dental/health care volunteerism; it'll add some diversity to your dossier and hopefully make you a more well-rounded applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I believe that the great majority of dental students are ACCEPTED without a bachelors. Sure, they generally go on to finish their bachelors, but this is not the same as being required to do so.

So, most students do finish, but it does not mean they had to.

Honestly, I believe that the great majority of dental students are ACCEPTED without a bachelors. Sure, they generally go on to finish their bachelors, but this is not the same as being required to do so.

So, most students do finish, but it does not mean they had to.
Many dental school and even medical school acceptances are conditional which may-or-may not include background checks, immunizations, deposit, and of course, the completion of the planned course of study. (e.g. bachelors, masters, planned courses, etc.)