Can I get into optometry school with a biochemistry degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neil45

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will I be considered a disadvantage if I apply to optometry school with a biochemistry degree? Do I have to major in the the more broader science subjects such as biology, chemistry, or physics?

Members don't see this ad.

Neil45 said:
Will I be considered a disadvantage if I apply to optometry school with a biochemistry degree? Do I have to major in the the more broader science subjects such as biology, chemistry, or physics?

are you serious? have you even looked at any school's admission policies???

Neil45 said:

That won't be a problem. You could apply with a music degree, just as long as you have the pre-req. It is just like any other professional program, ie. MD/DO, DDS, DC, DPM; if you have the GPA, test scores, and right classes you can have any degree.

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
rpames said:
That won't be a problem. You could apply with a music degree, just as long as you have the pre-req. It is just like any other professional program, ie. MD/DO, DDS, DC, DPM; if you have the GPA, test scores, and right classes you can have any degree.

Good Luck

Cool. Thanks! :)

I 'm a biochem major now attending PCO! =P

No way! You're in a very good position to apply! Just as long as you have a degree and fufill the pre-req's, you should be good and ready to go!