Can i get into UCLA without taking organic chemistry??? Please help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pixisprinkles

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's the thing. I'm in my sophomore year of junior college and i havn't taken Organic chemistry yet. I can't take it this year because i still have some pre-reqs to get out of the way for o-chem. They say they prefer you to take at least the first semester of O chem at the community college level and then continue on the second half at UCLA. This doesn't make much sense to me, but that's beside the point.

Anyway, is there a realistic hope of me getting in this fall? What should i do? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you talking about undergrad? :confused: I was a transfer student looking into UC's, I will say that I remember UCLA was pretty strict about completing certain pre-major requirments before even attempting to apply. Call their admissions advisors (these are the kinds of questions they expect you to ask) and be sure. Good luck:)

Ah, I thought you were talking about med school at first. That would be a resounding no. I agree with the above poster, UCLA is weird like that. And their not in the business of making exceptions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I transfered to UCLA without any OChem. Then again, I wasn't a science major going in (changed majors while there).
So, if you're going in claiming you're pre-med, it's "recommended", though not "required". If you go in with a different focus, it's not even "recommended". Once you're in, you can switch to any major you want (within the same college... no chem engineering unless you reapply to that college).

i transferred as a biochem major without taking any ochem