Can I get legal action for discrimination for bariatric surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gsdwccom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend had signed up for bariatric surgery and they rejected her because she "ate too much" and because "diets failed". I believe most diets don't really work, and that those clinic who agreed to help her was supposed to help her find support in the diet areas.Refer her to support groups who could help her stay the course. My friend lives in :pekin Illinois and wants to know if she can get legal advise to deal with this clinics unfair discrimination . Where could we get help legal wise?

Members don't see this ad.

Where could we get help legal wise?

Hopefully no where. But if people can sue McDonalds for making them fat and cigarette companies for giving them cancer ... why the hell would your friend not have a shot? You can get help from absolutely any lawyer in the universe. Frankly, I'd advise your 'friend' to stop eating too much, and doing what the doctors ask so she can take the easy way out. If you're too lazy to cheat ... what the hell do you want next, ya know?? Don't refer her to a lawyer, refer her to a personal trainer and some place that sells discipline.

This is so pathetic. This victim mentality is what is wrong with america. Personal responsibility does not exist. Its the doctor's fault I am fat and he will not fix me so I will sue..... words can not describe how bad this is. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I suspect this was a bot post. Please do not reply to it further.

My friend had signed up for bariatric surgery and they rejected her because she "ate too much" and because "diets failed". I believe most diets don't really work, and that those clinic who agreed to help her was supposed to help her find support in the diet areas.Refer her to support groups who could help her stay the course. My friend lives in :pekin Illinois and wants to know if she can get legal advise to deal with this clinics unfair discrimination . Where could we get help legal wise?

This is precious. I will treasure it.

There are many many factors that lead to her being rejected. Quite frankly, there has absolutely been no discrimination what so ever.

In all honesty, no lawyer would accept the case. It is clearly documented by multiple studies that operating on patients with BMI>60 results in over 30% morbidities. Just to give you an idea, BMI 40 with no comorbidities or 35 with at least one (some insurance companies require 2) component of the metabolic syndrome has a 3% or less chance of any complications. In fact, that is what is required of Centers of Excellence.

Now that being said, I don't know what her BMI is and on top of that, there are many predictors that would indicate that the patient could actually beat the gastric bypass (gold standard). Please do not even bother mentioning the band.

1. If the patient thinks she can eat whatever she wants. This is biggest misconception. You still have to diet and exercise. I'm always shocked at how people think this is an easy way out. It's not. It's merely a tool to help you lose weight, not a replacement. You can GAIN weight with the bypass if you drink lots of high carb liquids.

2. Bipolar/Schizophrenia. These are becoming a relative contraindication, given that they can be controlled. These people eat to fulfil a psychological need, not necessarily hunger. So even with a bypass, they may eat Burger King right after they leave the hospital and bust open their anastomosis.

There are many more, I just don't feel like typing anymore. Tell your friend to seriously attempt to lose weight without surgery.

Tell your "friend" to try Subway. F@t@$$. :rolleyes:

Jared%20Fogle%20Subway.jpg

You could always try the "eat lead" diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.