Can I get my acceptance withdrawn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fabien

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I received a phone call saying that I got into a DO school, but I'm really worried about something. I did horrible in school last semester (some personal things were going on) and now I'm wondering if they could withdraw my acceptance once I send in my transcripts.

They never said anything about it being conditional on my grades, but this is really worrying me.

Anyone have a clue on what I should do about this? I'm freaking out here.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

well, the school is going to find out your grades whether you tell them or not, so my personal opinion in this matter is you should call up some sort of director of admissions, or dean of students, or someone with some power. If you're close enough, i'd even go there for a meeting and be VERY honest with them about what happened (assuming you didn't do anything illegal). if you're open and up front with them, then they're going to look more favorably, but if you try to hide it, that's going to look bad on you...

"look, here were my grades the last couple semesters, i did well. This is what happened during this last 'semester' but that situation has resolved itself. I know my grades weren't great during this time period, but according to my other grades, I obviously can do well academically"

anyway, that's sorta the way I'd handle it. Good luck!

disclaimer: i see this person has only one post, i'm going to be nieve and assume that this isn't a trool, if it is, well... I'll have my friends track him down

well, the school is going to find out your grades whether you tell them or not, so my personal opinion in this matter is you should call up some sort of director of admissions, or dean of students, or someone with some power. If you're close enough, i'd even go there for a meeting and be VERY honest with them about what happened (assuming you didn't do anything illegal). if you're open and up front with them, then they're going to look more favorably, but if you try to hide it, that's going to look bad on you...

"look, here were my grades the last couple semesters, i did well. This is what happened during this last 'semester' but that situation has resolved itself. I know my grades weren't great during this time period, but according to my other grades, I obviously can do well academically"

anyway, that's sorta the way I'd handle it. Good luck!

disclaimer: i see this person has only one post, i'm going to be nieve and assume that this isn't a trool, if it is, well... I'll have my friends track him down

I agree with this advice ^ - especially the part about the disclaimer

Members don't see this ad :)
The disclaimer was odd, it was obviously a legit question.

But thanks for the input. You seem to be implying that my admission can in fact be withdrawn because of these grades.

That's very very worrisome. :(

But thanks for the input. You seem to be implying that my admission can in fact be withdrawn because of these grades.

I think the personal conflict that was going on is going to be your kicker. Were you drunk because you were graduating - not so good. Did you have to care for an ailing family member - better. Were you the ailing family member - even better. If your personal conflict wasn't worth it, you may want to worry.

Yes actually I had to fly back and forth because a family member was sick.

Some schools say you must maintain an OA of 2.75-3.0. (this number may vary from school to school). You must also have at least a C in prereqs. So, the best thing is to call your admissions director. You wil probaly be ok.

Marcia

Don't worry about that disclaimer; we have had a number of trolls lately, so folks may be a little sensitive about it.

There is usually some sort of academic contingent for matriculation. I would recommend not sitting there in worry, but take the step to contact the admissions office, pose your question, describe what happened if it is indicated, and get a definitive answer and resolution to your worries.

Don't worry about that disclaimer; we have had a number of trolls lately, so folks may be a little sensitive about it.

There is usually some sort of academic contingent for matriculation. I would recommend not sitting there in worry, but take the step to contact the admissions office, pose your question, describe what happened if it is indicated, and get a definitive answer and resolution to your worries.

I wouldn't worry about it. I think it is very rare that a school actually rescinds an acceptance. Maybe if you got all F's your last smester or if they found out you have a large criminal record. I would follow the above advice. Check it out with the school.

Well how bad did you do?

I got two F's in advanced science classes (not prereqs). It was pretty awful.

I got two F's in advanced science classes (not prereqs). It was pretty awful.

I would imagine that would take some explaining, hopefully they will be understanding of the health related issues. Good luck though, I hope it all works out for you!

Since they're not prereqs I would say you have some wiggle room. I would definitely take the advice of the first responder and contact the dean of admissions and tell him your story. Plan out what you want to say to him and if you have documentation of this family member being sick have it handy just in case. If you have a legitimate reason of why you did poorly, which it seems you do, I would think the school would understand. You don't want to surprise the school with your transcript and have them think that your grades went down because you partied all last semester. Good luck and let us know what happens!

(I know this isn't the same as two F's but I got a C- in a science course my last semester and my school never said anything about it to me)

1) Did you graduate?

Reason: In student handbooks, a bachelor's degree is often a requirement prior to matriculated that is not well advertised.

2) What was your GPA like before this happened?

3) Have you already signed the matriculation agreement? If not, SIGN IT and send it in. Wait a few days, call in and get the confirmation that they have received it. Hang up. Wait a few more days hoping that it has been properly filed. The matriculation agreement is a binding contract for you AND for them... they need a damn good reason to rescind your acceptnace if you have given them a deposit and a signed contract.

NEXT, call the director of admissions (or the like) and discuss your situation. Be frank and don't *****-foot around the situation.

I had a situation with my biochem course this past semester in which I was getting slightly under the mean average of my biochem course. I was worried that I would get a D for the course nad not graduate with my "Premedicine, BS". Proactively, I called the director of admissions who told me that if I wasn't comfortable with the course I could drop it. As a result, I dropped the coruse and changed to a "Science BS" all of which means absolutely nothing in the real world post-med school acceptance.

I would read the acceptance letter very carefully. All of mine and several other med schools state somewhere that all courses in progress need to be completed "satisfactorily". That generally means at least a C.

Contact your med school admissions department IMMEDIATELY. If you wait on this one, the problem will only get worse with less time for you to remediate the situation.

I would read the acceptance letter very carefully. All of mine and several other med schools state somewhere that all courses in progress need to be completed "satisfactorily". That generally means at least a C.
Contact your med school admissions department IMMEDIATELY. If you wait on this one, the problem will only get worse with less time for you to remediate the situation.

If it says that, it DEFINITELY means that you need to complete your degree. If a D is acceptable for graduation, I have sincere doubts that they woudl rescind your acceptance... the D would probably have to be in a non-major course if you could graduate with the D anyway.