Can I get out of the match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duiplfrog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is horrible but I'm having second thoughts about a couple of programs I ranked.
Hopefully it doesn't come to this BUT if I do match to one of the ones I really don't want to go to, is there anyway to get out of it? I would be happier taking a year off and doing research or something and then reapplying next year... Possible?
I'm driving myself crazy running through possible scenarios. I wish it was the 20th already!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've been told the options are:

1) Break the contract where you matched, with the penalty of not being able to use the match ever again, or at least for a very long time (I can't remember which). This would mean you would have to scramble if you are an AMG. Also, you couldn't use the match for a fellowship either when the time arrives.

2) Ask your matched program to release you from your contract.

3) Transfer after your intern year.

There may be more, but these were the scenarios faced last year at UF, when the program failed to certify their ROL. There were three psych-bound UFer's who planned on staying, then had to face this dilemma come match day. One decided to go to #2 program, one was let out of contract and is now at UF, and one was denied release out of contract and will be transferring to UF once intern year is complete.

I would definitely talk to your school's psych PD and get his/her take on what you can do.