can i get some input por favor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capitain

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from school 2 years ago and then that summer I first took the MCAT and got a 27Q and then I retook it the following April and got a 26Q...not fun. I studied hard one more time, but nerves took over and I still got a 26R (though each time one of the points that I took away from one score got added to another...) :eek: my highest composite is 28R ...in any case I'm worried at how shabby this looks. I would never have retaken the exam had I not been scoring in the low 30's during practice exams, and I took Kaplan! I took two years off doing research during this time and have published a paper, and presented abstracts and work as a volunteer in a free health clinic. I have an overal gpa of 3.4 because of lesser than great freshman year grades, and a science gpa of 3.31 and AO of 3.49. i have heard of success stories...but it's hard to believe in them right now...any advice/input would be greatly appreciated. I am also only interested in applying to allopathic schools right now...

Members don't see this ad.

capitain said:
I graduated from school 2 years ago and then that summer I first took the MCAT and got a 27Q and then I retook it the following April and got a 26Q...not fun. I studied hard one more time, but nerves took over and I still got a 26R (though each time one of the points that I took away from one score got added to another...) :eek: my highest composite is 28R ...in any case I'm worried at how shabby this looks. I would never have retaken the exam had I not been scoring in the low 30's during practice exams, and I took Kaplan! I took two years off doing research during this time and have published a paper, and presented abstracts and work as a volunteer in a free health clinic. I have an overal gpa of 3.4 because of lesser than great freshman year grades, and a science gpa of 3.31 and AO of 3.49. i have heard of success stories...but it's hard to believe in them right now...any advice/input would be greatly appreciated. I am also only interested in applying to allopathic schools right now...
I think you will have a hard time getting into an allopathic school because your GPA and MCAT are both below the average of accepted students. I think your MCAT will hurt you, not just because it is low but also because you did not show any improvement! At interviews you will have to explain how this happened. Your ECs are ok, but I don't think they will make up for your academic performance.
You said you are only interested in allopathic schools, but you may need to consider osteopathic if you want to become a doctor. If I were you, I would apply to both MD and DO schools. You may get lucky and get into MD, but it will be an uphill battle. Also, if you are applying for 2007 matriculation, I would submit very soon. The earlier you submit, the better your chances. Good luck!

it can't hurt to apply . I know people that have gotten into Mayo with a 24 MCAT. Its about your whole application. Being published is a serious thing. And it looks like you have extensive research experience. As long as you spread your schools out like 5 top, 10 mid, 5 safety, then you will be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
doctajay said:
it can't hurt to apply . I know people that have gotten into Mayo with a 24 MCAT. Its about your whole application. Being published is a serious thing. And it looks like you have extensive research experience. As long as you spread your schools out like 5 top, 10 mid, 5 safety, then you will be fine.

You really have no safety with a 3.4/ 26. I would apply all your 20 apps (and then some) in the mid to below range and only take the longshots if you have the cash to do more apps than that.

u arent out of the loop yet. Write some bomb azz essays and show your passion towards medicine. get a few interviews and show them what you are made of. I have heard of people getting in with 3.2/26 on the mcats. Do an mdapp search and apply to the schools that may be within reach. make sure you have a backup though. u don't want 2 b stuck in a situ where u rn't accepted and don't have a backup. take care. and GL!! also have you thought DO. I hear those numbers are competitive for some DO schools.

Yeah, these things all make sense. I wouldn't be applying to med school with these numbers if I didn't want to be a doctor though. My current list is certainly not from the highest tier to name a few of them:

Albany Medical College
Suny Downstate
Jefferson
NJMS both MD's
New York Medical College
Temple
This list is around 19 long.
Honestly though I do realize that these schools are also great, and would be a small miracle for me to get into. But I'm here, willing to work hard, and I'll try my best and see what happens.

In terms of DO schools, what happens if by some small miracle I get interviews or waitlisted at an MD school where I really want to go and I get into a DO school? I don't want to be in a position where I ever might want to reject an acceptance for a "maybe."