Can I get terminated for this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabdel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
On my ERAS application I put down that I speak Spanish with a proficiency of Basic ( I speak the language imperfectly and only to a limited degree and in limited situations. I have difficulty in or understanding
extended conversations. I am unable to understand or communicate most healthcare concepts.)

Honestly, now that I realize it, I might actually be even less than basic. I can ask simple medical questions that require yes or no but I can barely understand what the patient is saying and may catch on little things. I havent used Spanish in a year so I forgot most of it.

Can my program terminate me for not being able to communicate with spanish patients even though I put Basic on my eras app?

Members don't see this ad.

On my ERAS application I put down that I speak Spanish with a proficiency of Basic ( I speak the language imperfectly and only to a limited degree and in limited situations. I have difficulty in or understanding
extended conversations. I am unable to understand or communicate most healthcare concepts.)

Honestly, now that I realize it, I might actually be even less than basic. I can ask simple medical questions that require yes or no but I can barely understand what the patient is saying and may catch on little things. I havent used Spanish in a year so I forgot most of it.

Can my program terminate me for not being able to communicate with spanish patients even though I put Basic on my eras app?
No.

Reactions: 1 users
Only if it turns out that in addition to your limited knowledge of Spanish, you also have no knowledge of English.

Or I suppose if your program is in Puerto Rico...

Reactions: 1 user