kevinus

5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Hi SDN, do you think that I might receive an II from any UC school this cycle? It's already mid-December.

I'm a senior engineering student (M, Asian) applying this cycle with 3.9+ GPA and 35 MCAT (13/10/12). I am a CA resident, although attending an out-of-state college, and I applied to every MD school in CA and some of the top research schools.

My ECs are classic. I did undergrad research with some publications, clinical volunteering, and shadowing.

All my secondaries were complete in mid-late August, but I haven't gotten an II from any UC yet.

UCSF rejected me a while ago, and I am "on hold" for UCSD.

Just to share how my application cycle is going, I had 5 interviews at JHU (rejected), Columbia, NYU, Loma Linda, and Cornell, chronologically. And I have USC interview scheduled for February, '14. So I think I'm doing fairly average for an Asian male applicant with comparable GPA and MCAT.

While I understand that UCs are extremely popular, I was hoping to get at least one II. Do you guys think that it is already too late in the cycle for me to get an II, considering that my secondaries were completed mid-late August? Not trying to be arrogant, but I expected an II from UCI or UCD.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Hi SDN, do you think that I might receive an II from any UC school this cycle? It's already mid-December.

I'm a senior engineering student (M, Asian) applying this cycle with 3.9+ GPA and 35 MCAT (13/10/12). I am a CA resident, although attending an out-of-state college, and I applied to every MD school in CA and some of the top research schools.

My ECs are classic. I did undergrad research with some publications, clinical volunteering, and shadowing.

All my secondaries were complete in mid-late August, but I haven't gotten an II from any UC yet.

UCSF rejected me a while ago, and I am "on hold" for UCSD.

Just to share how my application cycle is going, I had 5 interviews at JHU (rejected), Columbia, NYU, Loma Linda, and Cornell, chronologically. And I have USC interview scheduled for February, '14. So I think I'm doing fairly average for an Asian male applicant with comparable GPA and MCAT.

While I understand that UCs are extremely popular, I was hoping to get at least one II. Do you guys think that it is already too late in the cycle for me to get an II, considering that my secondaries were completed mid-late August? Not trying to be arrogant, but I expected an II from UCI or UCD.
Basically you can't expect anything. I had an interview at UCSD, secondaries at UCLA and UCSF, and didn't even get a secondary from UCI. Sorry. You are in a good place though, with 4 pending interviews! Make sure you are super ready for your USC interview.

OP
kevinus

kevinus

5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Basically you can't expect anything. I had an interview at UCSD, secondaries at UCLA and UCSF, and didn't even get a secondary from UCI. Sorry. You are in a good place though, with 4 pending interviews! Make sure you are super ready for your USC interview.
Yeah... I completed all my UC secondaries in August, and I'm not expecting any interview invitation at this point. It's strange that UCI would not even give a secondary to you, who had an II from UCSD. I don't understand this process at all.

nemo123

5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2011
Status
Medical Student
It's okay Kevinus. Like Trayshawn wrote in the Hopkins thread, if you got an II from Hopkins, you must be amazing, so you'll still end up somewhere great. :) How many schools did you apply to?