can I get up in the middle of a section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question just popped into my head - I know we can get up and eat a snack or go to the restroom during the official break but what about during the actual test? I am thinking about the writing section which I finish with lots of time left over, but usually don't end early so I can rest..

Members don't see this ad.

You CANNOT get up in the middle of a section, unless you want your score to be invalidated. This is an anti-cheating policy, so people don't leave in the middle of a section to go read helpful notes they hid in their locker, or in the bathroom, such that they can then return with information relevant to a tough passage. If you finish the writing section early and want to relax, let your time run out while you chill at your computer. When the ten minute "Break Time" box comes up, then you can leave and go to the bathroom/get a drink for 10 minutes.

This question just popped into my head - I know we can get up and eat a snack or go to the restroom during the official break but what about during the actual test? I am thinking about the writing section which I finish with lots of time left over, but usually don't end early so I can rest..

At my test center you could get up and leave the room if you want to but you can't stay by your computer. They were tellig people they could get up and go to the bathroom in the middle of the section but the time would keep running. Just ask the testing center when you get there

I don't think you can sign out unless you clicked the "end section" button or if you ran out of time.

I finished my second writing sample about 7 minutes early and felt like I needed a break before BS so I just sat at my cubicle and let my time run out. That way i got an extra break without any risk of having the test center report me for going over my break time (since the next section doesn't start until you hit start even if you go over your 10 minute break time).

I did this during the first writing section as well.