Can I give up yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kirk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone? I have a question. I am planning on graduating this fall, and I have been able to keep a very strong GPA for my college career (3.96). I am taking summer classes, and one of the classes is English 102 which I have put off for years, and which sucks. I also am applying right now (03 class) so I have already sent in my transcripts and everything. The problem is that I am feeling really burnt out, and I wondered if it would matter to a medical school that accepted me if I get a couple of B?s or C?s before I graduate. Since my application is already submitted, none of these lower grades would show up on it? I hate to lower my GPA, but I just think it would be nice to relax for a change!

Thanks for any input!

Kirk

Members don't see this ad.

You will probably have to submit your transcripts from this course. It's a weird situation, though. I had to send in my Fall transcripts from my senior year, and then I relaxed my Spring semester. But you're graduating this Fall? They might ask about your updated transcript at interviews. When exactly are you graduating? August? December? :confused:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Kirk:
•Since my application is already submitted, none of these lower grades would show up on it… I hate to lower my GPA, but I just think it would be nice to relax for a change!

Thanks for any input!

Kirk•••••I don't know much about this, but I do know you need to keep AMCAS updated with your transcripts. If an adcom is making a decision between you and 150 other people, then finding out that you recently got 2 C's probably won't impress them.

Just my $0.02. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You shouldn't let your guard down until you have an acceptance safely in your hand. No matter how fabulous you might be, you may find yourself on a waitlist, possibly a few, possibly the waitlist of your first choice school. And the thing that will get you off that waitlist would be updates on grades, ECs, etc. If you update them with B's and C's and another applicant updates them with A's, then if all other things are equal, who do you think they will pull off the waitlist? If you are totally exhausted, take a break before taking those last few courses. That would be better than taking them now and doing poorly.

Yes, you can take it easy now. :) I "burnt out" after my sophmore year. I had a 3.86 and I just thought "oh hell with it... I need to do something else besides study." So now my gpa is a 3.76... yeah I went down, but I think it was worth it. With the extra time I had, I started a club at my school and started volunteering for Habitat. Somethings are more important than grades.
Even a 3.8 is competitive anywhere... so you could have gotten a few Bs or Cs before now even. :)

Thanks for the info guys! How about after acceptance? Can/will any medical schools require you to maintain a certain GPA in order to matriculate?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Kirk:
•Thanks for the info guys! How about after acceptance? Can/will any medical schools require you to maintain a certain GPA in order to matriculate?•••••I believe they do ask... but I think that's just to make sure you finished college and graduated. Unless they specifically say so, schools aren't going to take back their acceptance offers... assuming you don't get less than a 1.0 or fail a bunch of classes or something. :)

Wait until the summer to relax. Think of it as endurance training for med school.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Darth Vader:
•Wait until the summer to relax. Think of it as endurance training for med school.•••••Oh please... after 3 years of hard work... he should relax a little. The worst thing would be if he burned out before he even got to medical school. Haven't you ever hear of "senior slide?" :D

Hey Kirk! I'm from the same place you are and am a soon-to-be 4th year (one more week!) at your state med school. If you are planning on applying there, I can tell you that you DO have to turn in final transcripts, and the official policy is that you need to maintain a decent GPA during your last semester of college. There is this ongoing rumor that someone was rejected after being accepted because of doing so poorly, but I don't know of anyone this actually happened to, and I do know of some people who slacked off some during their last semester. Just be careful not to fail anything and delay your graduation :)

If I can help with anything, please feel free to email me!

--Brendan--
<"}}}}}><

•••quote:•••Originally posted by KUBrendan:
•Hey Kirk! I'm from the same place you are and am a soon-to-be 4th year (one more week!) at your state med school. If you are planning on applying there, I can tell you that you DO have to turn in final transcripts, and the official policy is that you need to maintain a decent GPA during your last semester of college. There is this ongoing rumor that someone was rejected after being accepted because of doing so poorly, but I don't know of anyone this actually happened to, and I do know of some people who slacked off some during their last semester. Just be careful not to fail anything and delay your graduation :)

If I can help with anything, please feel free to email me!

--Brendan--
<"}}}}}><•••••WOW! Thanks for the info! I will send you an email with a couple of questions I have. :)