"Can I go from Voc-Rehab (Chapter 31) to Post 9-11 (Chapter 33)"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BC_89

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had some great PM's concerning this question. Also, I've observed this topic being discussed in other network groups with controversial answers. As many may know, the controversial answers are mainly due to Voc-Rehab Counselors not outlining the details, or a misread from the VA website when discussing Educational Entitlements like that of the Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill and the Chapter 33 (which have nothing to do of Employment entitlement such as Chapter 31).

Short Answer: "YES" you can go from Voc-Rehab to Post 9-11 GI Bill. Some have wondered why would anyone who's blessed to have been granted the Chapter 31 benefits ever want to revert back to Chapter 33....One of the main reasons is due to an individual deciding to change their course of study that would lead them to a different entry-level career path that was not agreed upon by the individual and their Voc-Rehab Counselor (VRC). Keep in mind, once approved for Chapter 31, you cannot up and change your employment plans without further consolidation with your VRC.

Due to the nature of it being difficult for many to obtain an approval and perhaps extension of the Chapter 31 benefits, it can be even more difficult if one decides to go from "Pharmacy" to "Medical School' or "Physical Therapist" to "Dentist." Nonetheless, for the few who are interested, this is a case by case situation, but under the law entitlement of Chapter 31 it can happen.

Please Keep in Mind: For every month of Chapter 31 benefits, you lose a month of Chapter 33. Chapter 31 does not need to be bound by the 36 month rule such as that of Chapter 33 or the combined educational entitlement rule of using all of your Chapter 30 (36 months) and receive a 12 month extension toward the Chapter 33. Please do not also confuse that once you opt into Chapter 33, you cannot revert to Chapter 30. Nonetheless, you can opt from Chapter 33 toward Chapter 31 and in rare circumstances revert back to Chapter 33.

If its still confusing please let me know. Although I strongly encourage everyone to ask on this forum so that everyone can benefit from the question. When it comes to Veterans' Benefits, we could all afford to learn and better prepare for whats to come in preparing for our entitlements ( myself included ).

Members don't see this ad.