1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Can I go on vacation during the summer that I am applying?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by doc3232, Jan 3, 2009.

1. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Assume DAT and application is done before I go. Do I have to submit anything or is it just a waiting game for a while? Talking about May, June, July, August.
    I will be applying to Cali schools.

2. whlee84

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    you can definitely leave may, june, and july cause it takes AADSAS several weeks to verify your transcript and for the schools to receive your application etc...however, i got my first interview invite in august in the mail, and you want to call ASAP to reserve your interview spot. just keep that in mind...you can have someone check your mailbox while you're gone maybe?

3. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Thanks for the response. The mailbox will be a problem...
    I don't think I will be gone the whole 4 months though. Probably just June and July, maybe May. Will definately do something useful while I am there though.

EDIT: and congrats on Penn...I might be applying there... ;)

4. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
  5. dent2009

dent2009 YEEE BOI
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    isn't there a way to divert your mail to another location temporarily? check your post office. If not, then i suggest coming back from vacation no later than mid-end of July. Oh last thing is to check how schools notify you of missing documents/interviews/etc. I think most schools use email, some strictly mail.

6. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration

What schools are you applying at? Look at the previous interview threat for class of 2013. Some start pretty early in July: Creighton, Indiana, Nova, etc.

7. shoombol tallah

shoombol tallah Big Boy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    wow 4 months?!! thats one long vacation where are you going?! lol. I think as long as you have your supplementary stuff in then you should be fine as long as you get back by late august.

8. Clubby

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I did a study abroad in Europe during last summer when I applied. I had to reschedule one interview because I wasn't going to arrive in time; however, given the reason, they had no problem with it.

9. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    thanks everyone for replies...nah, probably wouldn't go 4 months anyway. But wanted to know just in case.

Ya, I might divert the mail. That slipped my mind. Probably a good idea. I thought about changing it for each school, but mail diversion is probably best way. Thanks

Only schools I know I will apply to are Cali schools.

10. Jake8

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Generally stuff starts moving in August. It takes AADSAS forever to get their act together and everything verified, then the schools have to actually process your application and then your supplemental application/fees. Generally they don't like looking at applications until they are done introducing the incoming class and getting everything sorted out. But like was said before there are some schools that start out early.

Basically August is go time and late July is a strong possibility.

11. eternalxdemon

2+ Year Member

Dental Student

Of course you can!!!!! I went on a month long trip to Thailand, Vietnam and Hong Kong this past summer from june 14-july 12. I had my aadsas app filled out on may 15 and I hit submit on June 1st. Most of the Cali/Southwestern schools I applied to emailed me secondary apps and stuff at the end of june... and i just put those off til i got back to the US. :) You'll be fine if you want to go on vaca right when the cycle starts. just make sure u submit before u leave. hope you enjoy your summer! :D

12. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Bump

What about secondaries for UCLA, UCSF and UoP?
    I heard that I can take my time with the UC schools because they don't start reading apps for a while.