Can I go to Medical School? I'm in a community college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juzt2me

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm 21(gonna be 22 this summer), currently going to a community college. Taking mostly computer classes, because I am majoring in Computer Science. I'm getting my Associate's from here. This coming fall transferring to a 4 year school with a good computer science field. But, before that I have to make up my mind, if i be computer science guy or go to medical school. If I want to go to medical school, then I have to go to some other 4 year school, that's recognizable by medical schools. What are the procedures when it comes to applying to medical schools? In general, what are the steps? Do I still have time? What do you think would be good? Should I stick to my current major?
Anyone, please?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm 21(gonna be 22 this summer), currently going to a community college. Taking mostly computer classes, because I am majoring in Computer Science. I'm getting my Associate's from here. This coming fall transferring to a 4 year school with a good computer science field. But, before that I have to make up my mind, if i be computer science guy or go to medical school. If I want to go to medical school, then I have to go to some other 4 year school, that's recognizable by medical schools. What are the procedures when it comes to applying to medical schools? In general, what are the steps? Do I still have time? What do you think would be good? Should I stick to my current major?
Anyone, please?

Thank you!

http://aamc.org/ and http://www.aacom.org/Pages/default.aspx will start you in the right direction for doing your own research on the procedures for applying to med school. No one is going to do that for you. As for time, there are people 30+ yrs of age, who apply to med school. So you have as long as you want to decide when to pursue a career in medicine. It is a matter of preference, when you decide to pursue such a career. There are no restrictions on majors, but you do have to complete the science pre-reqs to apply to med school. These requirements can be found at individual school websites or the AAMC.

You may consider pursuing Bioinformatics if you are interested in computer science but want to eventually enter the field of medicine. Could be the best of both worlds!

You might consider getting in some volunteer hours in a clinical environment(hospital/clinic/nursing home/etc) to see if medicine is the right field for you, as everyone doesn't feel comfortable interacting with sick people. A typical med school applicant has about 1.5 years of this activity. Three to four hours a week is usual. Most applicants also shadow physicians to see what they do all day. About 60% of applicants do research (need not be in the sciences). Many have leadership or teaching experience. Nonmedical community service is also viewed as important.