can I have a little insight from all of you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nerdo123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm in the midst of applying to medical school right now, and I just wanted to get some insight from you guys about my competitiveness since I feel that I have a very contradictory application. I have a 3.4 GPA, with a 3.2 science GPA, which I know is low. But, I scored a 36 on my MCATs ( I knew I had to do well to make up for the gpa). I kind of have a reason for the low GPA because of one bad semester. I took on a job that just took too much time away from studying. I'm pretty involved on campus. I volunteer at the hospital, help tutor kids from the inner city, worked at the newspaper for a little while, and am the treasurer of my Honors COllege. So, I just wanted to know what are my chances of getting in somewhere. I'm from maryland and I'd really like to go Maryland medical school or somewhere in D.C like GW or Georgetown. Anyways, thanks guys and good luck in medical school!

Members don't see this ad.

nerdo123 said:
Hello!

I'm in the midst of applying to medical school right now, and I just wanted to get some insight from you guys about my competitiveness since I feel that I have a very contradictory application. I have a 3.4 GPA, with a 3.2 science GPA, which I know is low. But, I scored a 36 on my MCATs ( I knew I had to do well to make up for the gpa). I kind of have a reason for the low GPA because of one bad semester. I took on a job that just took too much time away from studying. I'm pretty involved on campus. I volunteer at the hospital, help tutor kids from the inner city, worked at the newspaper for a little while, and am the treasurer of my Honors COllege. So, I just wanted to know what are my chances of getting in somewhere. I'm from maryland and I'd really like to go Maryland medical school or somewhere in D.C like GW or Georgetown. Anyways, thanks guys and good luck in medical school!

People with your credentials have gotten into all three of those schools. A lot of other factors, including personality/interviewing skills, your essays and the strength of your LORs will play a role as well. Certainly with a 3.4 don't bank on just three -- apply broadly and see what happens.
And FWIW I wouldn't use the reason for the bad semester you indicated -- med schools expect you to still manage everything you take on (you will be applying against folks who both worked and managed to get A's). Good luck.

nerdo123 said:
Hello!

Your chances aren't that bad. Turn on the charisma when you get to your interviews. Let them know how much you want to go to their school and have clearly defined reasons--like, you specifically like their ___ program and their approach to ____. The more personalized it is, the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Law2Doc said:
People with your credentials have gotten into all three of those schools. A lot of other factors, including personality/interviewing skills, your essays and the strength of your LORs will play a role as well. Certainly with a 3.4 don't bank on just three -- apply broadly and see what happens.
And FWIW I wouldn't use the reason for the bad semester you indicated -- med schools expect you to still manage everything you take on (you will be applying against folks who both worked and managed to get A's). Good luck.
Agreed with both posts. Working isn't really an excuse ADCOMs seems to accept when referencing a bad semester. Apply to a lot of schools and work to show yourself in the best light possible (good interview, LOR, ECs, etc). :luck:

Are you kidding me, you are golden my friend. 36 is AMAZING, don't let anyone tell you differently. And your GPAs are not THAT bad, mine were VERY similiar and I had a 30 and still got in places. I think you have an excellent shot at the schools you mentioned, and will undoubtedly be choosing from multiple, multiple acceptances by Christmas time. You have a great shot at both DC schools but do be sure to apply to other places too to make sure.

nerdo123 said:
Hello!

As usual Law2Doc beat me to the punch. First off let me say that your MCAT scores are awesome and you should certainly be happy and proud of yourself for that accomplishment. Definitely apply broad and with good LORs and a personal statement you should have a good chance of getting in or at least getting some interviews. You may want to consider applying early decision to increase your chances. I am not saying that you need to, but I think it increases anyone's potential. Worst case scenario you don't get in the 1st time. Your still young.

Hey nerdo,

I'm starting at U of Maryland this year (also in-state...was also accepted at Georgetown, but not GW). I got in with a 3.5/3.3 and a 33MCAT. However, I am a re-applicant, and have been out of undergrad for 5 years now. I think what really nailed it for me this time around was:
1) Being in-state (prior to 2004, I was a resident of Washington State)
2) My secondary essays
3) My interviews.

Do your best to shine in the latter 2 categories, be humble, and, with a little luck, you'll be fine. If you really, really want to go here, let them know. I think they can figure out whether you are genuinely interested, or if you are just another foaming-at-the-mouth applicant trying to increase their acceptance count.

Good luck. I think you'll love it here. Maryland is an amazing school (although I am quite obviously biased.) :)

Your 36 will get you in somewhere as long as you apply high and low. Your GPA is a bit on the low side, but your MCAT compensates for it. Plus your low GPA is the result of one bad semester....adcoms can forgive you since your MCAT showed you know your stuff.

nerdo123 said:
Hello!

Your MCAT is very good which makes up for your GPA (which really is not that bad). I don't know much about those schools but you should for sure be able to get into an MD school somewhere and most defiently a DO school if you choose. You have the stats to get invited for an interview but if you are lacking in personality most schools will dump you despite scores.

BTW, why is your science so much lower than your overall GPA? What classes hurt you? That could make a difference.

BTW, why is your science so much lower than your overall GPA? What classes hurt you? That could make a difference.[/QUOTE]

Thats the thing, upper level bio/chem classes brought me down...biochem and developmental biology. so what am i supposed to say when they ask me at an interview ( hopefully i'll get one!) how do you think you can handle med school when you can't handle 400 level classes?

nerdo123 said:
BTW, why is your science so much lower than your overall GPA? What classes hurt you? That could make a difference.

Thats the thing, upper level bio/chem classes brought me down...biochem and developmental biology. so what am i supposed to say when they ask me at an interview ( hopefully i'll get one!) how do you think you can handle med school when you can't handle 400 level classes?[/QUOTE]

These two things aren't the same at all. Medical school is not like college. The classes are different.

nerdo123 said:
I just wanted to get some insight from you guys about my competitiveness

Well, there is certainly a lot to gain about this subject on the pre-allo boards. Come here for the success stories, but go there for the nitty-gritty. It always helps to share the common experience of this long process.

Anyway, I think your scores, while "contradictory," still put you in a perfectly fine spot for applying to medical school. Your GPA will keep you honest - and that's a great thing. To be successful in this game you have to be on your toes, and feeling like you are the underdog will help you keep your edge despite everyone else around you freaking out (justifiably so) about your MCAT score. Make sure every other aspect of your application is top notch - lean heavily on unique experiences and/or ambitions you may have, and get some new ones if you can. Apply to a decent amount of schools (12-15) with a wide diversity of locations, philosophies, and competitivenes. You will get secondaries from everyone - nail them all. You will get interviews from some - nail those, too. Finally, you will get waitlisted. Accept it, because in the end, they will accept you.

I'm speaking from experience here...

I got into multiple schools with a 3.1 GPA and 37 MCAT. It's all about the rest of your application, your other strengths. I won't lie, the grades issue came up as a major liability, and the fact that my MCAT was decent really illuminated the very-true fact that I can cut it, but I usually slack way too hard. Your grades aren't as bad as mine, but be prepared to explain them, especially in relation to your good MCAT.

nerdo123 said:
Hello!

You're okay. I got into several schools and my stats are almost exactly like yours. (GPA 3.2/3.4 MCAT 36). Apply widely.

As another poster said, be prepared to explain your grades. Surprisingly, I was only asked about my grades twice out of ten interviews. Your MCAT proves that on any given day you can step up to the plate and hit one out of the park. The adcoms will just want to know that you have settled down academically and can handle the work over the long haul. Good luck!

nerdo123 said:
Hello!

Hey Nerdo,
No worries, man! Your MCAT score is awesome! If you have 10s or better on your sciences then they totally make up for your 'low' GPA. Like the rest these guys are saying, too, apply to a lot of places, you're sure to get in. Your volunteer experiences alone speak for your strength as an applicant. Don't sweat it!