Can I hurt myself by applying too early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlippinOut

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay,

I just turned 25 this month. After high school (18 years old), I worked at my family business for 5 years (my father retired, and someone had to work to support my sister's tuition for Dentistry, and at the same time, save money for my own tuition).

In any case, I started my undergrad last fall, and at the end of this summer, I will have completed 60 credit hours (half my degree in one academic year and one summer). Essentially, I will have completed my B.S. in Biology by the end of next summer (2 academic years, and 2 summers). My overall GPA is 4.0 right now. I'm taking the MCAT in August.

Is there such a thing as applying too early (even for someone slightly older such as myself)? Additionally, I have all the other notables, such as research, volunteering, clinical work, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Nah, I think that if you will have your degree, already have all your ECs and LORs and such in place, then there's no reason why you have to do all 4 years especially as a somewhat older applicant. The main reason people are advised to wait is that they may come off as being too young, but I don't think you'll have that problem.

I think it's very admirable what you did btw. And I think adcoms will too. Good luck!

agreed, i think you'll be fine. just make it clear what your plan is when you submit your application, and be ready to talk about it in interviews. it's a good story that will make you stand out. as long as you complete all your requirements you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a word of warning I know UMDNJ-NJMS requires 90 credits to be eligible. I may be wrong on this but I though 90 credits was the standard requirement for medical school.

the thing you need to consider is that you said you're going to need next summer before you can get your degree. if you apply for fall 2006 matriculation, you have to realize that many schools start in july and most in august, so you might want to look at dates and see if that would be a reason for them to preclude you. since there is the potential that you might not be finished by the time they start. but other than that, i think you'll be fine as long as you have the majority of prerequisite classes completed.