Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Can I include substantial clinical experience done while...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by larpleston, Jan 2, 2009.

1. larpleston

2+ Year Member

I was enrolled in high school but attending college?

If not, can I include experiences I had in the summer between my senior year of high school and my freshman year of college?

2. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    If you have continued it, yes, you can list it. If not, you'll just have to work it into an essay somewhere.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Generally, you are expected to have done something clinical during or after the time you were a college student to test your interest in medicine as a career. If you haven't done anything clinical in the last 3 years, then some adcoms will question how well you have tested your decision to pursue medicine.

There is no rule that you can't include things done before you graduated HS but some adcom members tell me that it looks like padding (in other words, you should be so busy and have such good stuff going on in college, and after if you are non-trad, that you won't have room for what you did when you were a minor).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. larpleston

2+ Year Member

I have had separate clinical experiences in college. I was just wondering if I could include the hospital volunteering done in high school that I haven't continued.

5. socmob

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Like people have said, you can't include it as an extracurricular but definitely work it into your PS if it's important. You can also bring it up on interviews.

6. funkymunkytoes

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If it was a formative event in establishing your interest in medicine, do it! I included a National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine during the summer after my junior year in high school, and they are always very interested in it during my interviews. If you can talk about it, and it genuinely added to your interest in medicine, there's no reason you shouldn't add it.

7. LizzyM

Academic Administration
    I happen to think that NYLF is a major bit of padding. It is more a measure of your parents pocketbook than a measure of your motivation, as an adult, to pursue a career as a physicain. Many of us have been sucked into providing lectures, etc free of charge to kids enrolled in NYLF and that does make some of us more interested in what the rest of the week or two is all about. Many questions you get during an interview do not reflect admiration for your experience but curiousity.

8. Kaustikos

Kaustikos Archerize It
    10+ Year Member

[​IMG]

9. Doctura

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I had substantial shadowing experience in high school. I included it in my personal statement as part of my "natural progression" to medicine, but not as an AMCAS extracurricular. I thought it made for a good PS. However, in every single interview I was asked about experiences specifically in college, and it was good that I had done a some volunteering at a hospital during my sophomore year of college. My advice: Include it, but don't rely on it as your sole clinical experience.

10. funkymunkytoes

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Scholarship, not my parent's pocket book, got me there.

11. LizzyM

Academic Administration
    If you attended at no cost to you or your family, then congratulations. I still wouldn't advise including it in the "experience" section but if you must, do note that you had funding from xyz to attend.

As a general rule, anything that went on, or could have gone on, your college application doesn't go on the medical school application in the "experience" section. An exception might be made for something extraordinary such Olympic competition or as a finalist in the national spelling bee. If the grammar school or HS activity is engaged in by less than 40 people in your birth cohort each year (or you ranked among the top 40 of people born the same year you were in that activity), then it might be significant enough to include.