Can I Just Be Brutally Honest??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StudyLater

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Money >>>>>> helping people.

*waits*

Members don't see this ad.

The ROR on a medical degree is not worth it if you want to make money. There are easier, less physically, mentally and emotionally straining careers that are a lot more lucrative in that respect.

I don't think you have to be a saint to earn an MD, but I do think that you should have your priorities in line.

Reactions: 1 user
I think there are a lot of students who pursue premed because of that or prestige. That said many of those won't make it through the premed track and fewer through med school

Members don't see this ad :)
Money >>>>>> helping people.

*waits*

On the other hand, there might be a point where the money just doesn't justify helping people in this manner.

But...but I really really really like helping people!

I am reminded of circulus vitios who was very focused on earning potential.
I like science and helping people is cool, but I'm going into this with the intent of making as much money as possible without doing anything shady/unethical/illegal.

and who thought helping people as a volunteer was a soul crushing waste of time:
I volunteered in a hospital for about 50 hours. It was a monumental waste of time. I learned nothing, did nothing, and hated it. It showed me absolutely nothing about 'whether or not medicine is for me' -- that was why I shadowed.
\
Then...
... Passed first block, failing second block because I can't motivate myself to study.
and finally
Ended up dropping out. Sucks to flush one semester of tuition/COL down the drain, but whatever.
When last heard from, he was studying to be admitted to an accounting program.

Reactions: 20 users
Status
Not open for further replies.