Status
Not open for further replies.

intangible

a tiny existentialist
5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
The ROR on a medical degree is not worth it if you want to make money. There are easier, less physically, mentally and emotionally straining careers that are a lot more lucrative in that respect.

I don't think you have to be a saint to earn an MD, but I do think that you should have your priorities in line.

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I think there are a lot of students who pursue premed because of that or prestige. That said many of those won't make it through the premed track and fewer through med school

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
I am reminded of circulus vitios who was very focused on earning potential.
I like science and helping people is cool, but I'm going into this with the intent of making as much money as possible without doing anything shady/unethical/illegal.
and who thought helping people as a volunteer was a soul crushing waste of time:
I volunteered in a hospital for about 50 hours. It was a monumental waste of time. I learned nothing, did nothing, and hated it. It showed me absolutely nothing about 'whether or not medicine is for me' -- that was why I shadowed.
\
Then...
... Passed first block, failing second block because I can't motivate myself to study.
and finally
Ended up dropping out. Sucks to flush one semester of tuition/COL down the drain, but whatever.
When last heard from, he was studying to be admitted to an accounting program.

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Closing

Status
Not open for further replies.