Can I leave SMP if get accepted to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nml3g

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may have put myself into a bit of a pickle here. I have a medical school interview in a couple weeks (got the invite today). However I am 5 weeks into an SMP. I filled out the AACOMAS application before the SMP began and thus the AACOMAS application does not have listed that I am attending an SMP. If I were to get accepted, what would the best course of action be? I will be honest if they ask what I am currently doing in the interview obviously but I’m at a loss on if I should wait until I have an acceptance in my hand to ask the medical school If I need to finish the SMP I’m enrolled in or do I withdraw and say nothing if I’m accepted ?

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted during the second quarter of a 2 year (6 quarters) masters program. I did list my courses in AACOMAS, but since it was only my first year I listed the classes as non degree seeking, so the school was not expecting a masters degree. After I was accepted, I asked the school if I had to complete third quarter to complete my first year, and they were fine if I dropped the program after two quarters. I ended up completing the first year anyway because I was waitlisted at better programs. Also, don't worry about this until you get accepted. I had an interview pretty early in the first quarter, but was rejected. If the school doesn't even know you are in the program, I would assume they would be OK if you drop out at the end of the semester, but don't drop out before you are accepted, not sure how they would feel about a W. The only way it could hurt you is if the school wants to see how you did in the SMP, and puts your app on hold.

Yes, I did this. I got written confirmation from the school that accepted me stating I didn't need to finish my SMP.

I may have put myself into a bit of a pickle here. I have a medical school interview in a couple weeks (got the invite today). However I am 5 weeks into an SMP. I filled out the AACOMAS application before the SMP began and thus the AACOMAS application does not have listed that I am attending an SMP. If I were to get accepted, what would the best course of action be? I will be honest if they ask what I am currently doing in the interview obviously but I’m at a loss on if I should wait until I have an acceptance in my hand to ask the medical school If I need to finish the SMP I’m enrolled in or do I withdraw and say nothing if I’m accepted ?
If you get accepted, and you're absolutely sure that you would attend that school, then there's no need to finish the SMP.

If you're WL'd, then finish the SMP, after verifying with the med school that it's OK.

Reactions: 1 users