Can i let my grades slip now?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YA7ES

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to medical school yay!.. Now i want to party and slack off for a semester.

I already started this and ended up with a 3.3 GPA (no C's) for this semester... ouch (in my opinion at least)..

Did any of your grades slip??

My acceptance letter says that if your grades slip too much then they will retract the acceptance, but it didn't say what the cut off is.

I don't consider myself in danger with a 3.3 GPA, but was just wondering what yall's opinion of the cutoff is.

gracias

Members don't see this ad.

Have fun but finish strong! One of my friends last year had her acceptance rescinded because of a poor finish.

Have fun but don't let them slip too much. I wouldn't want to drop below a 3.5 for any given semester but my guess would be that for most schools, the line would be a 3.0. They probably didn't give you a specific number b/c they don't want you to aim for that number or test them on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been accepted to medical school yay!.. Now i want to party and slack off for a semester.

I already started this and ended up with a 3.3 GPA (no C's) for this semester... ouch (in my opinion at least)..

Did any of your grades slip??

My acceptance letter says that if your grades slip too much then they will retract the acceptance, but it didn't say what the cut off is.

I don't consider myself in danger with a 3.3 GPA, but was just wondering what yall's opinion of the cutoff is.

gracias

My grades did a little bit. I got a 3.5 after six straight semesters of 3.7+. My cumulative is still above a 3.8. I had a pretty tough semester though, coupled with interviewing for medical schools. Hopefully next semester goes a little better.

Last edited:
honestly, if you get all Bs = 3.0, they won't rescind your acceptance. B = above average. You could essentially get all Bs each semester and not worry.

honestly, if you get all Bs = 3.0, they won't rescind your acceptance. B = above average. You could essentially get all Bs each semester and not worry.

Would this still be true if they specifically say that you must finish all academic work "commensurate with your established level of success" and you have gotten almost all A's in the past? :scared:

Try to get nothing less then a B imo. That should allow plenty of time for slacking and partying honestly. I had a friend last year who ended up getting 2 Bs and 2Cs his final semester no one rescinded his acceptance but who knows. Getting straight Bs or around there at least allows you to not have anything rescinded for sure. My last quarter I quit period and just had fun and regretted it as I slacked so much I had going into my finals 3 Ds lol...luckily i killed myself and was able to pull them to Bs but it was a struggle. If your last semester you end up with like a 1.5 or something they may seriously question wtf happened. Better safe then sorry right?

Would this still be true if they specifically say that you must finish all academic work "commensurate with your established level of success" and you have gotten almost all A's in the past? :scared:

no. Seriously i know its hard but try not to be too crazy in all this. A few Bs are fine. Hell if you got a C i highly highly doubt anyone would rescind anything, even a few adcoms have told me this. The only time you should worry is if your last year or semester/quarter you get like 2Ds and and 2Fs or something horrid like that. Then you might have to sweat it out. Bs are fine. i know in the pre med world a B is the end of the world but seriously relax lol

Last edited:
Lycheegal -
I don't think they will rescind your acceptance if you get a couple of extra Bs. However, if you are truly concerned, email the director of admissions and explain to her/him your situation. This is probably the most mature and responsible course of action.

Lycheegal -
I don't think they will rescind your acceptance if you get a couple of extra Bs. However, if you are truly concerned, email the director of admissions and explain to her/him your situation. This is probably the most mature and responsible course of action.

I will probably end up doing so but was afraid they might prematurely decide to rescind the offer of admissions without giving me a chance to show that the bad grades weren't from slacking off...just too much on my plate this semester and not enough time...thanks for the advice though! I will probably do so as soon as my grades are officially released for the semester. Hope they understand! :xf:

Don't worry,Lycheegal. I'm sure they'll understand. As long as you have a good reason, there shouldn't be any problems. These Deans are human and they know that this is a stressful and time consuming process.
Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. The wording of that letter sounds eerily similar to one of mine.
Good luck

my acceptance blatantly said maintain a B average so 3.0. I would suspect other schools have the same mark in mind.

really I thought you just had to get a C or higher. that's what it says for SUNY downstate anyway. i think it completely sucks that you have to maintain any grade above passing.

Do you guys mean B or C for the cumulative GPA or just senior year?

Cause if its cumulative, i would probably need to fail a few courses to drop htat GPA that much. but if its just senior year..... im right on the spot

Don't worry,Lycheegal. I'm sure they'll understand. As long as you have a good reason, there shouldn't be any problems. These Deans are human and they know that this is a stressful and time consuming process.
Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. The wording of that letter sounds eerily similar to one of mine.
Good luck

Thanks! :)

Hmmm I got a 2.65 which brought by overall gpa down from 3.56 to 3.44. (B B C+ C+) Will this matter? This is due to grad level history and a Spanish class. Next quarter I can get above a 3.5 if needed.

Hmmm I got a 2.65 which brought by overall gpa down from 3.56 to 3.44. (B B C+ C+) Will this matter? This is due to grad level history and a Spanish class. Next quarter I can get above a 3.5 if needed.

check with your school. While my school says we must finish all courses with "satisfactory completion (C or higher)" it looks like other schools don't want you to get lower than a B.

Just take easy A classes next semester, if you can.

Just take easy A classes next semester, if you can.

:thumbup: That's what I did...had my best semester my last spring. Too bad those A+s don't do anything to your gpa except look pretty on your transcript :rolleyes: