Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Can I make a petition

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DDSBound, May 14, 2007.

1. DDSBound

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I want to be a dentist first and foremost, but want exposure to traditional medicine so I can better understand and relate the needs of my patients. Do you think it would be possible to write a petition to go through rotations with the 3rd year medical students after I graduate? I think it would greatly benefit my profession. Thank you for your input.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 146233

146233 Phthirius pubis

Medical Student
    You expect to gain a lot as a new dentist from rotating through OB and General Medicine wards?

Even if I ignore how strange this request sounds, I doubt you'll have much luck. There are liability issues (you're not training to be a physician), confidentiality issues (you're not treating the patients, so you don't need to have access to their medical records), etc. Unless your dental school also has a medical school on campus, I'd say you're dead in the water. Even if they do, I doubt you'll have any success. But hey, what do I know? Ask them. The worst that happens is they laugh at you or think you're creepy.

Graduate, get a job and start paying your loans. Don't be the weird dentist who longs to be a physician as well.

-z

4. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How?

5. midn

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Aren't there combined DDS/MD programs of sorts? I know someone that got accepted into one that has him going straight into some sort of oral surgery. I don't know too much about these.

If you've already committed to DDS, I highly doubt there is a chance to rotate with MDs.

6. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Get into an OMFS program and you'll get your wish.