Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Can I make a petition

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DDSBound, May 14, 2007.

1. DDSBound

Dental Student
    I want to be a dentist first and foremost, but want exposure to traditional medicine so I can better understand and relate the needs of my patients. Do you think it would be possible to write a petition to go through rotations with the 3rd year medical students after I graduate? I think it would greatly benefit my profession. Thank you for your input.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 146233

146233 Phthirius pubis

Medical Student
    You expect to gain a lot as a new dentist from rotating through OB and General Medicine wards?

Even if I ignore how strange this request sounds, I doubt you'll have much luck. There are liability issues (you're not training to be a physician), confidentiality issues (you're not treating the patients, so you don't need to have access to their medical records), etc. Unless your dental school also has a medical school on campus, I'd say you're dead in the water. Even if they do, I doubt you'll have any success. But hey, what do I know? Ask them. The worst that happens is they laugh at you or think you're creepy.

Graduate, get a job and start paying your loans. Don't be the weird dentist who longs to be a physician as well.

-z

4. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS

Resident [Any Field]
    How?

5. midn

Resident [Any Field]
    Aren't there combined DDS/MD programs of sorts? I know someone that got accepted into one that has him going straight into some sort of oral surgery. I don't know too much about these.

If you've already committed to DDS, I highly doubt there is a chance to rotate with MDs.

6. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Get into an OMFS program and you'll get your wish.