Can I make a special petition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDSBound

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Though my posts may have been misunderstood, some of you remember my goal is to be a dentist first and foremost. I would however love to have a thorough understanding of traditional medicine so I can be better at my profession. Do you think it is possible to write a petition to a medical school to go through their Junior year rotations after I graduate? I think it would benefit me greatly. Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I THINK that there are programs who people who plan on opening a practice in very rural areas. These programs do something similar to what your talking about, you get your dds and your md. I'm not sure which schools do this, but I think that case western my have mentioned it when they came to visit my school. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not going to happen because of hospital politics. With that said, I think there is a program at Case Western which is dual-degree. However, it seems you are already accepted and planning on attending UPenn, where this program does not exist. So realistically this will not happen. You could go into OMFS after you graduate, though.

Probably not. Sounds like you are having buyer's remorse, just go to med school if that is what your heart desires.

You could do a GPR (General Practice Residency) with a lot of medical rotation time and experience the medical specialties that way. In most GPRs, you are at the hospital full time and get a chance to interact with medical departments. At my GPR, we looked forward to the Internal Medicine (2 weeks) and Anesthesia (2 weeks) rotations because it meant we were going to get time to slack off and "observe" the medical residents in those fields. If you were gung ho, however, you could have used those rotations to function as third-year med students or first year residents would. We used to interact with medical residents and fellows in many departments all year in my GPR because we would get called to consult on their patients. This included ER, pediatrics, pediatric ER, cardiology, cancer, transplant, rehab, ob/gyn, psych, and others I'm probably forgetting. I'm sure if you had asked to hang out with them on the hospital floors after clinic (dental clinic always ended at 5), they would probably accommodate your request. Also, hanging out with the oral surgery residents would probably get you a lot of this exposure as well since those guys were always doing lots of medically oriented stuff as part of their clinical duties. Heck if you like it so much, you could stay at the hospital and do a second year of GPR, many programs offer this as well. Or do an Oral Surgery residency.

Though my posts may have been misunderstood, some of you remember my goal is to be a dentist first and foremost. I would however love to have a thorough understanding of traditional medicine so I can be better at my profession. Do you think it is possible to write a petition to a medical school to go through their Junior year rotations after I graduate? I think it would benefit me greatly. Thank you for your input.

Though both dental and medical student curriculums do share some basic science courses in the first two years, there is sure to be deviation from the courses as early as the first year. It seems unlikely that a medical school would just place you into 3rd year clinical rotations without further training. As far as I am aware, even OMFS residents cannot just take the last two years of medical school curriculum to get their MD degree after receivng their dental degree. Why don't you just do an OMFS residency?

Hospital based GPR with emphasis in oral surgery will be better than doing a 3rd year med school rotation. Not only do you do dentistry but you get better at the medicine part. You could also do an oral surgery internship for a year and then go into PP.