Can I make it into medical school with a 3.0 UGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

My overall GPA was 3.0 in a non scientific field, so if I make As on all of my premed courses, can I still get admitted to a medical (or DO) program?

Members don't see this ad.

My overall GPA was 3.0 in a non scientific field, so if I make As on all of my premed courses, can I still get admitted to a medical (or DO) program?

Possibly, but it will be tough. AMCAS data shows those with a strong MCAT and ~3.1 gpa have about 35% of getting accepted.

For what it’s worth, my low MCAT gave me roughly the same odds and I had decent success.

Yes, but you need to find the motivation/drive from within in order to be successful. The road to medicine is a marathon, not a sprint, and if you struggled with undergrad in a non-science field, there's a chance that you will struggle with prereqs, too. Address the root of the problem, eliminate distractions, and make sure you're fully committed before making any moves.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. But nothing is guaranteed. Murder your science classes, dedicate time to MCAT prep. Take time to strengthen your ECs and get well written LOR and essays.

Goro is certainly an expert on here, so look at his posts.

Just based on what you've said... absolutely you can get into medical school. You still have prereqs to take, and getting As in Ochem and Biochemistry will not only help kick your GPA up a little, it will make your science GPA be great. Added bonus, it will help with the MCAT. I would say buckle down, work hard on your science classes, and study hard for the MCAT. If you do those things, I can't imagine that you couldn't get into a school. Will it be Hopkins? probably not. A 3.1 GPA with a higher sGPA and an MCAT above 510 will get you into at least a few schools if you apply broadly, especially DO and your in-state.

Edit: also, work on your ECs and shadowing. Show them you're interested in the field.