Can I make it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

Mike

It has been quite a while since I've posted but now that I know my MCAT scores I need some input on my chances. I have about a 3.05, 3.1 science from a top twenty college and I just received a 10PS, 10VR, 9BS, Q. I have osteopathic experience and research experience. My top choice school is UNECOM, but I would be thrilled to go to any osteopathic school. As an aside, all of my osteopathic experiences were in Maine so tha should help with UNECOM. Please let me know how competitive I will be.

Members don't see this ad.

Mike

Applicants are judged on a wide variety of things, not just numbers.

If a certain aspect of your application does not match up with the "average" applicant, then you will need to be more impressive in other categories.

No one can look at your numbers and give you a clear answer.

Feedback from here will either discourage you or give you false hope.

Apply and see what happens.

If you stay positive, highlight the parts of your application that are strongest, and make some connections with the schools you are interested in, there is no reason why you will not stand a good shot at gaining acceptance.

Good luck to you.

Well, with a 29 MCAT score you're definitely going to be competitive. Although the GPA is lower than the averages, that usually doesn't mean much. If you're looking for opinions, I'd say you're a good candidate, but JP is right, it's just an opinion. Just apply to as many schools as you feel comfortable with and see what happens. Keep in mind that if you get invited for interviews at a lot of schools, it will become quite expensive.

Medical schools look at so many different criteria that you can't look at any specific set of numbers and know for sure you'll be accepted or rejected.

Good luck!

Mike,

Apply. See what happens. Plan on not getting accepted, and then if you do it is a bonus. Your best bet at this point is to think about a strong postbacc or preferably a graduate program, M.S., MPH, etc. The goal is to take some courses and do extremely well to prove you can handle graduate level work.

So start thinking about what you can do to improve your application, should things not go the way you would like this time.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Mike:
•It has been quite a while since I've posted but now that I know my MCAT scores I need some input on my chances. I have about a 3.05, 3.1 science from a top twenty college and I just received a 10PS, 10VR, 9BS, Q. I have osteopathic experience and research experience. My top choice school is UNECOM, but I would be thrilled to go to any osteopathic school. As an aside, all of my osteopathic experiences were in Maine so tha should help with UNECOM. Please let me know how competitive I will be.•••••