• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

S

Scooby-Doo

Need some advice on which Allopathic schools might consider me for acceptance.
My stats:
GPA 3.53
Science GPA 3.4
Hoping to get a 30+ on MCAT
Volunteered at two hospitals, A+ at an elementary school, assistant basketball coach, and TA for Biology lab at my university. Plan to volunteer at a homeless shelter.

What do you guys think? Will I be able to get into any Allopathic schools? What else can I do to up my stats?

Thanks

Falco2525

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
My stats:
GPA 3.53
Science GPA 3.4
Volunteered at two hospitals, A+ at an elementary school, assistant basketball coach, and TA for Biology lab at my university. Plan to volunteer at a homeless shelter.

What do you guys think? Will I be able to get into any Allopathic schools? What else can I do to up my stats?

Thanks

OMG...another one...at lest you are realistic with your mcat expectations...see www.mdapplicants.com to get some sort of an idea

About the Ads

NN11

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
My stats:
GPA 3.53
Science GPA 3.4

Thanks

What do you mean by this statement?

Doc Henry

blowin' in the wind
10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
My stats:
GPA 3.53
Science GPA 3.4

Thanks

What state are you from? Look at your state schools because being in state will help. Other than that my advice would be to make sure you're ECs stand out and you have good letters. I have similar stats and I think I have a chance, so why not you? Apply early!!! GOOD LUCK!

Doc Henry

blowin' in the wind
10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I have to correct myself...How did I manage to say "you are" ECs??? ha ha. This is what a future doc sounds like:laugh:

NN11

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I think A+ is a program for elementary school programs that fosters learning, etc..etc.. Not sure though...

thanks braluk, I was thinking things will only go down hill for him if he has to reach that far back in time for an EC/award!!!

OP, you've got a reasonable chance with those stats if you apply widely.

S

Scooby-Doo

good question... at first I thought he got an A+ in elementary school? wtf... so did everybody else. They were passing those around like it was free candy.

i tutored at an after-school program for elementary students.

C

Critical Mass

Flame warning: tread lightly when you say that you are expecting a certain MCAT score when you haven't yet taken it. Most would agree that you are at a point where the MCAT will completely make you or completely break you.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Good point, however I think the OP was wise to say "hoping" versus "anticipating" as the another had learned the hard way in a now defunct post (there was one a few days ago I think). :D

GoLAClippers

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
Good point, however I think the OP was wise to say "hoping" versus "anticipating" as the another had learned the hard way in a now defunct post (there was one a few days ago I think). :D

Actually, the other guy wasn't just expecting 30+ but rather 35+ :rolleyes:

C

Critical Mass

Yeah I remember that now. Much respek.

OP--beat the 30 mark, and you'll have some choices to pick from; dip under and you'll be facing a tougher road.

Bernie3144

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2006
Pensacola
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Yeah I remember that now. Much respek.

OP--beat the 30 mark, and you'll have some choices to pick from; dip under and you'll be facing a tougher road.

With the new MCAT having half the questions, that means that a 40 should be extremely easy to obtain :D

Seriously though, shadow a doc that has connections at various universities. This process is all about connections and luck. You can do something about connections, but not much about luck. :luck:

Honey Mustard

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You will be alright with that stat, meaning that you will be able to generate at least few interview invites (assuming that your PS/EC are decent) Just make sure you apply to a lot of schools and rock those interviews. This process has been very interesting for me with twist & unexpected outcomes. But it worked out for me. good luck! :luck:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.