Can I match in emergency medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alicebobalice

birdie
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I think I might be in trouble for the match and I'm looking for honest advice.

I already knew I was in for a kind of rough road. I have a step 1 of 232, but I only passed my EM rotation at my home institution due to underperforming on the end of rotation exam. My away SLOE I anticipate should be pretty good, but today I got my MSPE and I'm in the bottom quartile due to two passes in family med and neurology and only honoring in psych. I go to a good medical school in the US, but my question is whether I should apply to every single EM program. How much trouble am I in really?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have CK yet? I think things that could help you were a nice increase on CK, SLOEs going well, and being able to demonstrate a long-standing effort towards EM. I don't know the number, but how many contiguous ranks do you need to match in EM. My gut is telling me, if it's 10 say, that 50 applications could get you there, depending on some of those factors. Do you have a strong letter from your EM rotation pass?

Do you have CK yet? I think things that could help you were a nice increase on CK, SLOEs going well, and being able to demonstrate a long-standing effort towards EM. I don't know the number, but how many contiguous ranks do you need to match in EM. My gut is telling me, if it's 10 say, that 50 applications could get you there, depending on some of those factors. Do you have a strong letter from your EM rotation pass?

I'm not sure. I actually definitely don't have the long standing commitment to EM. I came into med school interested in psych and mental health, but then didn't love my psych rotations and really fell in love with EM after a rotation in the ED. My away SLOE was good, but I don't know about my home one. I got a pass, but the eval said it was the end of rotation test that disqualified me from a higher mark which I think probably isn't great.

Members don't see this ad :)
EM isnt that competitive. You should definitely match if DOs regularly get spots.

Reactions: 1 user