Can I match into an unopposed program with a failed Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orichalum

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My priority is to get into an unopposed program. I failed Step 1 and retook it and got a 210. Haven't taken Step 2 yet. I plan to apply to 60 unopposed programs. Is this too much/little? Do I have a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

My priority is to get into an unopposed program. I failed Step 1 and retook it and got a 210. Haven't taken Step 2 yet. I plan to apply to 60 unopposed programs. Is this too much/little? Do I have a chance?

We need to know more. Like (unfortunately) if you are USMD, DO, FMG, or US-IMG.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would your answer change for US DO? Or US-IMG?

A DO would struggle harder to find a match in the ACGME system; but would land an AOA FM spot without trouble.

A US-IMG would be all but dead in the water.

All my opinion of course, and I'm a DO.

A DO would struggle harder to find a match in the ACGME system; but would land an AOA FM spot without trouble.

Yes you have a chance.

I'm a DO that failed. I think my personal statement and unique experiences helped me but I got a lot of interviews and ended up cancelling some. I think I ended up going on 11 interviews. I matched at my 2nd choice.

All of my interviews were at acgme or acgme/aoa combined programs.

Yes you have a chance.

I'm a DO that failed. I think my personal statement and unique experiences helped me but I got a lot of interviews and ended up cancelling some. I think I ended up going on 11 interviews. I matched at my 2nd choice.

All of my interviews were at acgme or acgme/aoa combined programs.

And I'm a DO that got a 230+ on USMLE, and had no failures on anything. I got 20+ interviews, went on 9; didn't match.

Your experience is probably not the norm, nor is mine.

Reactions: 1 user

I mostly agree with this...but have met some U.S. IMGs that had 1 fail that had trouble but still matched... More than 1 fail as an IMG and you re in really deep trouble