Mar 17, 2014
Status
Medical Student
My priority is to get into an unopposed program. I failed Step 1 and retook it and got a 210. Haven't taken Step 2 yet. I plan to apply to 60 unopposed programs. Is this too much/little? Do I have a chance?

SLC

A Punk rock Country doc
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2010
The Empire
Status
Attending Physician
My priority is to get into an unopposed program. I failed Step 1 and retook it and got a 210. Haven't taken Step 2 yet. I plan to apply to 60 unopposed programs. Is this too much/little? Do I have a chance?
We need to know more. Like (unfortunately) if you are USMD, DO, FMG, or US-IMG.

SLC

A Punk rock Country doc
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2010
The Empire
Status
Attending Physician
You'll have a harder time than if you hadn't failed. But I'll bet you still match. Just apply to some safeties and make sure to submit a larger pool of apps and you'll be OK.

SLC

A Punk rock Country doc
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2010
The Empire
Status
Attending Physician
Would your answer change for US DO? Or US-IMG?
A DO would struggle harder to find a match in the ACGME system; but would land an AOA FM spot without trouble.

A US-IMG would be all but dead in the water.

All my opinion of course, and I'm a DO.

AMEHigh

10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
A DO would struggle harder to find a match in the ACGME system; but would land an AOA FM spot without trouble.

Yes you have a chance.

I'm a DO that failed. I think my personal statement and unique experiences helped me but I got a lot of interviews and ended up cancelling some. I think I ended up going on 11 interviews. I matched at my 2nd choice.

All of my interviews were at acgme or acgme/aoa combined programs.

SLC

A Punk rock Country doc
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2010
The Empire
Status
Attending Physician
Yes you have a chance.

I'm a DO that failed. I think my personal statement and unique experiences helped me but I got a lot of interviews and ended up cancelling some. I think I ended up going on 11 interviews. I matched at my 2nd choice.

All of my interviews were at acgme or acgme/aoa combined programs.
And I'm a DO that got a 230+ on USMLE, and had no failures on anything. I got 20+ interviews, went on 9; didn't match.

Your experience is probably not the norm, nor is mine.

Reactions: northernpsy

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
Cali

I mostly agree with this...but have met some U.S. IMGs that had 1 fail that had trouble but still matched... More than 1 fail as an IMG and you re in really deep trouble