Can I not put this course on my app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Bob Doe

The four yonko of medicine
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the past I took a science course at my local CC and did ok not great. The course isn't a med school requirement nor was it required for my degree, I took it for fun. All the coursework I will enter into my AMCAS app will come from my four year university, where I took all my prerequisites, electives, sciences and humanities.
The reason for me not wanting to calculate this course into my amcas is because I don't want my science gpa to go down. Can I just simply not put this course on my application? Are there repercussions to not listing every single course I took in college?

Members don't see this ad.

No, you can't cherry pick courses to increase your GPA. All courses from all colleges you attended must be entered. The repercussion is you being caught doing this (which will happen because you send them your transcripts) and never getting into med school.

Reactions: 1 user
You should list them unless you want to face consequences for not maintaining academic integrity

Members don't see this ad :)
Please look up "academic honesty" in your spare time.

No, you can't cherry pick courses to increase your GPA. All courses from all colleges you attended must be entered. The repercussion is you being caught doing this (which will happen because you send them your transcripts) and never getting into med school.

The only transcript I intended to show them would be from my four year university. I took this 1 course at my cc out of sheer boredom. Am I obligated to put in down, even if it was basket weaving 101?

Yes. What part of academic integrity is confusing?

The only transcript I intended to show them would be from my four year university. I took this 1 course at my cc out of sheer boredom. Am I obligated to put in down, even if it was basket weaving 101?

Leaving out a school is exactly the same as leaving out a course. You're lying about your academic history and if caught it's game over. Are you really willing to risk your career over 1 course?

Yes

There seems to be overwhelming support for putting this course down on my app, so I will. I was this close to ignorantly not marking it down and losing my chance at med school, good thing for SDN. Thanks to all who contributed.

There seems to be overwhelming support for putting this course down on my app, so I will. I was this close to ignorantly not marking it down and losing my chance at med school, good thing for SDN. Thanks to all who contributed.

Unless the process has changed in the past few years, I believe AMCAS delineates explicitly somewhere that you are 100% obligated to provide them with a transcript from anywhere you have received college credit. So yes, continue with that plan :)

Look up how AMCAS uses the national clearinghouse. Regardless, from your tone, I look forward to the "Did I ruin my chances for medical school by lying???" in a year.

Everyone considering medical school should not only purchase the MSAR (the textbook for applying to medical school), but also download and read the AMCAS instructions (the outline for the final when applying to medical school. (see below)
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/182162/data/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf

How do I know if AMCAS requires an Official Transcript?
One (1) official transcript is required from each
U.S., U.S Territorial, or Canadian post-secondary institution
at which you have attempted coursework, regardless of whether
credit was earned. This includes but is not limited to:

-College-level courses attempted while in high school, even if they did not count
toward a degree at any college.

-Colleges at which you originally attempted a course, even if the
credit was subsequently transferred to and accepted by another school.
-Colleges where you registered but did not earn any credit (e.g., incompletes,
withdrawals, failures, audits, etc.).
-Courses that did not count toward a degree, regardless of whether credit was
earned or transferred.
-Extension programs through which you attempted courses, if a separate
transcript is provided by the Extension Division.
-Correspondence and home study programs.
-Military education.
-American colleges overseas.
-U.S., U.S. Territorial, and Canadian medical schools

Hmmm...uh oh. I took a few AP/IB courses in HS, but since my college didn't accept the credits I didn't even consider them until now. I honestly forgot about them. I've been complete for a while. Is this an issue? I have a few II's so maybe not...?

Hmmm...uh oh. I took a few AP/IB courses in HS, but since my college didn't accept the credits I didn't even consider them until now. I honestly forgot about them. I've been complete for a while. Is this an issue? I have a few II's so maybe not...?
AP classes are not college classes.

If they're not on any transcripts you have no problems. You took those in high school.