Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Can I quit my IM now to change to pathology

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by qlin, Mar 12, 2007.

1. qlin

qlin New Member

Pre-Medical
    After several months of training in IM, I have realized that IM is not something that I would like be a career. I would like to do Pathology. Since pathology does not require prelim year, anyone knows if I can just quit my current position to prepare for the switch? Will there be any funding or violation of contract problems? Thanks.

2. b&ierstiefel

b&ierstiefel Guest

Non-Student
    If you're really serious about this, I would contact your IM program director and prepare for the scramble. If you don't secure a spot this year, then you're gonna have to do another year of IM during your PGY-2 year. You can apply through ERAS but remember, in your situation, you can go outside the match to secure your position.

3. SLUsagar

SLUsagar rock chalk jayhawk
    10+ Year Member

yah but please do a full, hands on rotation first...don't just add to the stereotype of people dropping IM, OBGYN, other 100% clinical fields with the fantasy that pathology a) isn't clinical b) is cake.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. LADoc00

LADoc00 Gen X, the last great generation
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ill field this one guys: No go away, there way too many pathologists already.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. b&ierstiefel

b&ierstiefel Guest

Non-Student
    Well, I guess that settles that. I inclined to have the same thoughts as SLUsagar as well.