can i raise mcat by 6 points in 4 weeks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaybird

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have not really studied for the mcat and i have take 2 practice exams and getting 25 on them. what will i have to do to raise my score in 4 weeks? is it possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, first thing you must do is study! Surely studying can raise your score, but by how much is hard to answer. It is really up to you...if you can study hardcore for a month straight, than 6 points may be possible. But a month is pushing it. Just be sure to take as many practice tests as possible!

i have not really studied for the mcat and i have take 2 practice exams and getting 25 on them. what will i have to do to raise my score in 4 weeks? is it possible?

Short answer: it's unlikely you'll get to 30+ in such a short time, but it depends on how much free time you have on a daily basis. You need a thorough content review AND lots of practice tests (with the latter being more important), and getting both of those done in four weeks is going to be really tough.

Don't mean to come off too harsh here, but why are you in a position where you are four weeks away from the test without having really started your prep? Unless you are set on applying for this admissions cycle, I would postpone the test so you don't have to rush your prep. It's always best to take the test one time, when you are most prepared, then go in saying "I'll see what happens and retake if it's not high enough."

Members don't see this ad :)
First and foremost, I strongly suggest you delay. Right when you said, "I have not really studied," I knew that you should delay. That said, it is possible, but the method I know of is very risky and far from a guaranteed score increase. If you go through it without a score increase, you've just used up a good number of MCAT FL practice tests. Furthermore, there is a pretty high chance of burnout. Lastly, it will probably take around 8 hours per day.

Get at least 15 MCAT FLs. Take one MCAT at least every other day. If you can get more, take them. After you take an MCAT, do as many practice problems as possible and THOROUGHLY analyze your results. You should spend about 2-3x longer reviewing your practice problems than it takes to do the practice problems. While analyzing, these are some of the questions to ask:

1. What technique did I use? Why did it work/not work? How can I improve it?
2. Was I under any time pressure?
3. Why did I get this question wrong/right? Was it content?
4. What was the author thinking when he/she made this problem? How were they trying to trip me up?
5. Is there any type of problem I miss more frequently?
6. Why do I miss that type?
7. Were there any choices I should have eliminated right away?
8. Did the passage confuse me and if so, why?

Do this for EVERY problem. For any problem you miss or felt shaky on, review the content.

The next day, review your MCAT using the same method. After you're done reviewing, do more practice problems and review them as well.

Keep going, alternating between days you take the MCAT and days you don't. Take a day off the day before the MCAT.

Again I strongly suggest you delay. You do NOT want to take this test unprepared.

I improved my score by 6 points in about 8 weeks. Im not sure about 4 weeks, but I guess if you hunker down and study hard and take practice tests, you may be able to.

I want to say yes simply because not everyone needs 400+ hours of studying to do well on the MCAT. It depends on why you were getting 26 in the first place.

For myself, I am taking the MCAT after I finished my degree so while some material is not fresh, I have been working with the same concepts for ages and the studying has been on a casual basis to refresh what I already knew.

But if you are trying to come into the exam cold-turkey, you probably don't have much time to cram information + prepare for the MCAT style.

That being said, going back to why you are getting 26 and why you want more. Is it because you don't know the material, or is it because you are struggling with the format. If it is a simple knowledge issue, yeah, you probably can learn a lot in 4 weeks to get much better if your test taking skills are already in good form. If it is a problem with knowing the material but struggling with the MCAT itself, again, 4 weeks of solid tests probably would help too.

But if you are suffering from a lack of knowledge + struggling with the format, that is a lot to cram into a small period of time. Not impossible, but just not very easy.

Jaybird, did you take practice tests from test prep course or actual aamc test?

If you took a Kaplan, TPR, diagnostic, keep in mind that some of these diagnostics (i.e. TPR, Kaplan, etc) are pretty difficult and are not really a good way to gauge your potential. But they will definitely scare you into studying!

On the other hand, the aamcs are supposed to be better predictor of your 'ballpark' score...that seems to be the general consensus on SDN.

i think you can. just take a bunch of the AAMC tests. you will find that your score will improve just by taking them. good luck!:)

i got mine up by 7 in 4 weeks. i did mostly content review cause that's what i needed.

i think it's up to you studying smart by identifying your weak areas and working there.

good luck :)

Although I didn't score very high, I have a few tips that I hope helps. First of all, you obviously have to know all you can. Use Berkeley Review, examkrackers audio osmosis, and Kaplan Premier book is very good as well. Improve your ability to do quick accurate math in your head. If you use Berkeley Review for your prep, praactice the passages the way you want to answer them during the test. You should practice being relaxed when you answer questions!! "Thinking harder" does not help you answer questions;it may actually be counterproductive. If you get answers wrong, don't be too hard on yourself. Identify why you got it wrong, then review whatever content may be necessary. A lot of times, I missed things mainly because I missed a minor point in the passage, or just glossed over wording in the question. Don't get bent if this happens. Staying relaxed is the best way to take this test.

With PS, you really have to trust your basic conceptual knowledge, and in that way, answer the stuff confidently. On the real MCAT, you have to realize that AAMC will try to trick you into thinking that its a very hard question, but in reality, you only have to use the basic concepts and equations Or pick up on an important detail in the passage.

With verbal, I tended to overthink things. I put a lot of effort into my prep, using EK and TPR verbal workbook. But its not about effort when practice verbal. I do suggest putting a lot of effort in the beginning to identify your weaknesses, and when doing practice verbal sets, put effort into applying good verbal techniques. I suggest using EK's strategies. But by the time you start taking practice tests, you have to stay relaxed and not expend too much energy contemplating what is the best answer. Sometimes the answer is giong to be vague and ambiguous. Honestly, take some risks. You'll be surprised how well you score. That helped me increase my score by 3 points at least.

With BS, its like a verbal test. You absolutely need to know all you can on organic and bio, but realize that the real test may not even require very complex knowledge. I think the MCAT for BIO is becoming more like a reading comp test. So when you take the real test, don't cram at the test center. The point of the test is critical thinking, and most of the info you need to answer the questions are in the passsages and the questions. Your knowledge will jsut come. Therefore, the best advice I can give is be relaxed when taking the test and be willing to take a few educated risks in answering questions. .

One other thing is visualize the testing scene before the test date. If you get easily distracted or nervous, realize that you will be watched the entire time. You will be fingerprinted before entering the exam. Also, at the beginning of test, people will be opeming the door, all nervous and ****. That actually made me nervous during test day, and I decided to put on those big headphones to block out the sound. but it just made me more distracted. Visualize the distractions ahead of time so that when test day comes, The distractions will not be as potent. Apart from the hard work in increasing your knowledge base and finishing on time, being relaxed and confident is the key to scoring better. I'm sure that would have helped me score better on PS (got a 10 rather than my usual 11 or12).

One final thing is to work hard, but don't be too hard on yourself if you don't improve immediately. Do what it takes to achieve your score goals, and take the test when you think you're ready. Anyway, that post was much longer than I thought it would be, but hope it helps everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I raised mine 11 in 6 weeks. Of course it required 12 hour days of studying and literally having no other commitments. It is possible, but if you cannot commit, then do not expect it.

Possible, if you have your heart set to it. I was actually a retaker from the June 16, didn't get my scores until July 19, and had planned on taking the August 6. Started studying here and there between the test and when I got my scores, and when I saw the dreaded 23, I really packed it in studying. Like. Hardcore studying. AKA did absolutely nothing but study, and in a week I had actually raised my score 5 points, after taking an AAMC full length, and every full length thereafter my scores were consistently higher. It all really depends on how much you put your heart into the studying. If you want it to be done, it can be done
The key really is to study, and devote everything to studying, focus on your weakspots, make your strong spots stronger, take every practice thing you can get your hands on, whether its EK, kaplan, or the other review courses, because there you can really focus on what is weak, and what isnt. I really liked the EK 30 minute exams for every chapter of the books, because it really tests your knowledge of the topic, and how you can critically think and use that knowledge. And then after each exam, I went over every single question, and over the explanations to make sure that I picked the right answer for the right reason, or why I picked the wrong answer. Practice really is the key. Best of luck to you!

Possible, if you have your heart set to it. I was actually a retaker from the June 16, didn't get my scores until July 19, and had planned on taking the August 6. Started studying here and there between the test and when I got my scores, and when I saw the dreaded 23, I really packed it in studying. Like. Hardcore studying. AKA did absolutely nothing but study, and in a week I had actually raised my score 5 points, after taking an AAMC full length, and every full length thereafter my scores were consistently higher. It all really depends on how much you put your heart into the studying. If you want it to be done, it can be done
The key really is to study, and devote everything to studying, focus on your weakspots, make your strong spots stronger, take every practice thing you can get your hands on, whether its EK, kaplan, or the other review courses, because there you can really focus on what is weak, and what isnt. I really liked the EK 30 minute exams for every chapter of the books, because it really tests your knowledge of the topic, and how you can critically think and use that knowledge. And then after each exam, I went over every single question, and over the explanations to make sure that I picked the right answer for the right reason, or why I picked the wrong answer. Practice really is the key. Best of luck to you!

The OP posted this in 2008.

I have to say that it didn't help OP but it's definitely encouraging for me to read! I scored 27--found out in mid-July and taking it again in August. I had a really low BS because I had 4 passages of Organic and ran out of time! I didn't get to finish 3 of the 7 passages so it's definitely reassuring to know that I can raise my MCAT by 3 points in 3 weeks. Here's to hoping it can be done!

pretty sure he's just bitter cuz he bombed his BS...there were only 2 in the June.
Aren't there multiple tests administered on a given day?

Still, I find it very difficult to believe that there were more orgo passages than bio passages on an exam considering that even the AAMC says that orgo is de-emphasized. I've heard of 3 orgo passages before (and that number does show up on the practice tests too), but never more than 3. Methinks the guy who posted that was so poorly prepared that he didn't realize some of his "orgo" passages were actually molecular bio.

Aren't there multiple tests administered on a given day?

Still, I find it very difficult to believe that there were more orgo passages than bio passages on an exam considering that even the AAMC says that orgo is de-emphasized. I've heard of 3 orgo passages before (and that number does show up on the practice tests too), but never more than 3. Methinks the guy who posted that was so poorly prepared that he didn't realize some of his "orgo" passages were actually molecular bio.

agreed...I was always in the June thread, and there were two for the morning and two for the afternoon exam.

No. 25 = incredibly weak content knowledge. 31 = solid content knowledge. Learning all MCAT material in 1 month = incredibly unlikely.

Edit: Aw.. OP = 2008.

I'm probably going to get blasted for this but I studied for just over 2 weeks and got a 38 o_O

Granted, I'm a hibernator by nature....I can go for days on end without sleep (which is what I did) and study that entire time and retain most of it. I'm a weirdo though, thats more efficient for me than studying for a long time.

So saying its not possible is not true.... Not probable is more like it unless youre a weirdo like I am.

Also, by hibernating I mean...phone off , computer only used for full lengths, no contact with the outside world at all during that time

I'm probably going to get blasted for this but I studied for just over 2 weeks and got a 38 o_O

Granted, I'm a hibernator by nature....I can go for days on end without sleep (which is what I did) and study that entire time and retain most of it. I'm a weirdo though, thats more efficient for me than studying for a long time.

So saying its not possible is not true.... Not probable is more like it unless youre a weirdo like I am.

You didn't go from a 25 to a 38 in 2 weeks. It's not the same.

You didn't go from a 25 to a 38 in 2 weeks. It's not the same.

My first full length was a 24. I'm not saying I do things the normal way or that it is normal to have that improvement, I'm just pointing out its not impossible. I have a verrrrry unique way of studying

I wanna know the same thing as well. On my last AAMC(9) I got 24 (10PS, 6VR, 8BS)...Can I raise my score to 5+ points in 6 weeks studying 20-22 hrs/week? Sorry If I highjack your thread...I just dont wanna create another thread with the same topic.

I wanna know the same thing as well. On my last AAMC(9) I got 24 (10PS, 6VR, 8BS)...Can I raise my score to 5+ points in 6 weeks studying 20-22 hrs/week? Sorry If I highjack your thread...I just dont wanna create another thread with the same topic.

Depends on what you've been doing so far. How has your studying gone? How long have you been preparing until now? Have you been improving steadily or not? You have to understand that nobody is going to give you an intelligent answer unless you give us more information.

Depends on what you've been doing so far. How has your studying gone? How long have you been preparing until now? Have you been improving steadily or not? You have to understand that nobody is going to give you an intelligent answer unless you give us more information.
I have been studying for 3 months...My diagnostic was 17 (AAMC#3)...I am very weak in VR and organic, which I am working on now. I am studying 4-5 days/week and 4-5 hours/day... I am doing TBR organic and EK 101. I will do TPRH verbal in the last month of my preparation...Hoping to raise VR to 9+ and BS to 10+. My progress is painfully slow.

I think if you have been getting ALL organic questions wrong on BS, then getting extremely comfortable with it in the next 6 weeks before your exam might raise your BS score 2 points, 3 max due to the decreased emphasis AAMC is putting on orgo. Still, even some basic orgo knowledge will help you answer at least 2-3 orgo questions that you would have missed otherwise.

Verbal is a tricky one, if you have been doing VR passages diligently for the last 3 months and you're still at a 6, I don't know what to tell you. I've realized that there's no magic bullet solution for getting instantly better at VR, blame your primary school education for failing you I guess. Take a peek around the internet and try out all the different methods people provide, and see what sticks. The best thing to do is keep doing VR passages, always look back at why you missed a question, whether it's because you didn't really understand the passage or some other factor, and try to fix your mistakes.

PS might be an area where you want to divert some of your attention. Just fill in a bit of the knowledge that you previously didn't quite understand about physics and chemistry, try to apply it, and you might get an easy point (maybe 2) out of the PS section. I firmly believe that a 12 in PS is achievable by just about anyone if they put their mind to it. PS is just a more straightforward section that the others.

Whether you'll get the 5 points is up to you, but it's certainly feasible.

Id also be aiming for more than 20-22 hours per week. Suck it up and have no life outside of work/mcat for a month and a half. If you have to re take, you'll end up giving up more time than that

I think if you have been getting ALL organic questions wrong on BS, then getting extremely comfortable with it in the next 6 weeks before your exam might raise your BS score 2 points, 3 max due to the decreased emphasis AAMC is putting on orgo. Still, even some basic orgo knowledge will help you answer at least 2-3 orgo questions that you would have missed otherwise.

Verbal is a tricky one, if you have been doing VR passages diligently for the last 3 months and you're still at a 6, I don't know what to tell you. I've realized that there's no magic bullet solution for getting instantly better at VR, blame your primary school education for failing you I guess. Take a peek around the internet and try out all the different methods people provide, and see what sticks. The best thing to do is keep doing VR passages, always look back at why you missed a question, whether it's because you didn't really understand the passage or some other factor, and try to fix your mistakes.

PS might be an area where you want to divert some of your attention. Just fill in a bit of the knowledge that you previously didn't quite understand about physics and chemistry, try to apply it, and you might get an easy point (maybe 2) out of the PS section. I firmly believe that a 12 in PS is achievable by just about anyone if they put their mind to it. PS is just a more straightforward section that the others.

Whether you'll get the 5 points is up to you, but it's certainly feasible.
For some reason verbal is/was not sticking... I took EK9 VR yesterday and got a 10 (30/40)... Dont know if that trend will continue..Will see then.

Id also be aiming for more than 20-22 hours per week. Suck it up and have no life outside of work/mcat for a month and a half. If you have to re take, you'll end up giving up more time than that
I have time contraint due to work and family...I will see if I can increase hours of studying to 26-28hrs/week. I dont wanna spend one more hour studying for that test again after Sept 11th. I will be perfectly fine with 28+ since applying to only DO schools but I am worried that I might need a higher score since my GPAs are not stellar (3.2 cGPA and 3.35 sGPA).

I didn't read any of the other replies, but yes, you can. Here's how:

First of all, if you're currently at a 25, make your goal to raise your score by 20 points, not just 6. Clear your schedule completely and study no less than 8 hours a day. Take two practice tests per week, reviewing ALL of the questions the following day.

For content, focus on the high-yield material. For bio (assuming you have a basic understanding of most topics), memorize the hormones, digestive enzymes, kidney flow, fetal circulation, muscle contraction, the immune system, female repro, and be sure you know how to solve genetics problems. For PS, memorize and be able to apply the physics equations, and review acid/base chemistry and periodic trends. For O-chem, know purification techniques, SN1/SN2 and elimination reactions, and common NMR values. For verbal, use EK's strategy and 101 passages book. Don't worry about writing.

And the biggest thing is confidence. Even if your practice tests scores aren't where you would like them to be right before the test, do no stress. I've seen people score 3-4 points higher on the actual test than they did on any practice tests.

Possible but not advisable. The problem with reviewing such a short period of time is that you dont get time to solidify concepts and strategies in your head. I came out of a graduate program and had a 4 week time frame to prep for my mcat after 2 years of being away from the material. I managed a 30 which was good enough given my high GPA but I do not recommend it. Chances are I could have nailed a 35+ if I had taken the proper amount of time. If time is on your side then use it.

Possible but not advisable. The problem with reviewing such a short period of time is that you dont get time to solidify concepts and strategies in your head. I came out of a graduate program and had a 4 week time frame to prep for my mcat after 2 years of being away from the material. I managed a 30 which was good enough given my high GPA but I do not recommend it. Chances are I could have nailed a 35+ if I had taken the proper amount of time. If time is on your side then use it.
I'm pretty sure he already took the test since it was posted in 2008 and knows the results of this.

Absolutely. There is quite a bit you can do in that time. If you do everything in your power to strengthen all your weak spots, practice and review, and prepare mentally for the exam, six points is very attainable in my opinion. A 2 point increase in each section can easily boil down to finishing on time, not having to guess on that last passage, confidence, and covering those last few grey areas so get off SDN and get psyched! Study hard and study smart.. Don't let anybody discourage you. Absolute best of luck to you.