Can I raise my GPA in 2 semesters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aakashp127

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I have a 3.42 GPA, and I was wondering how much my GPA would increase if I got a 4.0 GPA in the next 2 semesters? I am hoping to at least raise my GPA above a 3.5 before I start applying to medical schools, do you think it is possible? And what kind of GPA besides a 4.0 would be a solid GPA to maintain in order to raise my GPA from a 3.42? Thank you so much for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

How many credits do you have and how many would you take over 2 years? GPA is just a weighted average. Also, there are a lot of good GPA calculators online if that is more your jam.

I had a 3.38 overall GPA after my third semester with a 3.2 Sci. I graduated with a 3.7 overall and 3.6 Sci. I earned over a 3.8 for the next 5 semesters and increased my course load and science course load to raise my Sci GPA. If you hit 3.7 and nothing below 3.6 you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take your transcript:

If you got an A in a class, multiply the # of hours by 4
If you got a B, multiply # of hours by 3
If C Multiply it by 2
If D, multiply it by 1

Do this for each class. Add all the #'s together. Whatever this equals, call it "X"

THEN

Take the # of hours you plan on taking each semester, multiply that by 4. Whatever this # is, Add it to "X" from above.

Add all the hours you have taken to all of the hours you have already taken. Call this "Y"

Divide X by Y. There is your new GPA if you Ace all of your classes

How many credits do you have and how many would you take over 2 years?

I currently have completed 58 credits, currently taking 16 credits this semester which would probably be the same as next semester.

Many university registrar websites have instructions for calculating GPAs. Make an excel spread sheet that has the classes you have taken with the number of hours and the grades in separate columns. Then continue adding the courses you are thinking of taking later until you have a full 4 years schedule.

Use the advice above to use the Excel sum functions etc to calculate your GPA. First do it for the classes you have already taken, compare that to your transcript to make sure you are doing everything right. Fix the formula in Excel until you get the right GPA (what your school calculates).

Then you can have this document to add courses and grades to each semester and also to play around with by adding planned courses and hypothetical grades to see how your GPA will play out.

Edit: I think that it is a valuable use of your time to learn how GPAs are calculated and be able to create this document yourself. Nonetheless, here is one template I found by Googling "GPA calculator excel template"...there are a bunch of things out there
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/t...e-tracker-and-gpa-calculator-TC001019773.aspx

Edit2: This one has a conversion chart for grades
www.sonoma.edu/is/abroad/gpacalculator.xls

Many university registrar websites have instructions for calculating GPAs. Make an excel spread sheet that has the classes you have taken with the number of hours and the grades in separate columns. Then continue adding the courses you are thinking of taking later until you have a full 4 years schedule.

Use the advice above to use the Excel sum functions etc to calculate your GPA. First do it for the classes you have already taken, compare that to your transcript to make sure you are doing everything right. Fix the formula in Excel until you get the right GPA (what your school calculates).

Then you can have this document to add courses and grades to each semester and also to play around with by adding planned courses and hypothetical grades to see how your GPA will play out.

Edit: I think that it is a valuable use of your time to learn how GPAs are calculated and be able to create this document yourself. Nonetheless, here is one template I found by Googling "GPA calculator excel template"...there are a bunch of things out there
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/t...e-tracker-and-gpa-calculator-TC001019773.aspx

Edit2: This one has a conversion chart for grades
www.sonoma.edu/is/abroad/gpacalculator.xls

Thank you
I'm a bit confused
Units play a factor when determining gpa
I always calculate like a normal average
For example let's say I got 1 A and 1 B, I would do 4.0+3.0 divided by 2

Is that the same ?

ThanksThanksThanksThanks

Last edited:
Thank you
I'm a bit confused

Is that the same ?

At my school, each course was worth 1 credit for a semester course and 1.25 credits for a semester + lab course.

Example: Bio + lab (1.25 credits) = A and History (1 credit) = B

Then my GPA is this: [ 1.25(4.00) + 1.00(3.00) ] / [1.25 +1.00] = 3.56

Edit: basically, you get bonus GPA points for a course that counts as more credits, since otherwise one A and one B would average to a 3.50

Thank you
I'm a bit confused

Is that the same ?

Close, but not quite

GPA is weighted by credit hours. An A in a 4 hour course gets more points than an A in a 1 hour course.

So if you get an A in a 3 hours course--4 x 3=12
You also get a B in a 3 hour course---3 x 3 = 9

So you say 21/6=3.5

Close, but not quite

GPA is weighted by credit hours. An A in a 4 hour course gets more points than an A in a 1 hour course.

So if you get an A in a 3 hours course--4 x 3=12
You also get a B in a 3 hour course---3 x 3 = 9

So you say 21/6=3.5

depends on the school. My school makes no distinction based on the number of hours/week.

a first year science course (no matter which) with three hours of lecture +one hour of tutorial +3hours of lab (bi-weekly) = a history course (2 lecture horus/week)

Just do the math. It's really not that hard.

Do current (GPAxNumber of credit hours already earned) + (new number of credit hours x 4)= x/(total credit hours).

Boom.