Can I realistically improve RC significantly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mnmoore

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a practice RC section and did awful :(. I have heard most people say that you can't improve this section because reading comprehension skill have been developing for years.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes... reading science articles is different than just novels. Read one a day and get familiar with the style of writing etc. Also practice rc (on bootcamp) is harder than actual dat

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely you can. I suggest starting with Scientific American articles on a regular basis to both improve your reading speed and your tolerance for passages with dense science material. It's critical to stay focused while reading no matter how boring it can be - always stop regularly and ask yourself what you've absorbed from what you just read. These are just general tips but with regular practice you will start to figure out what works for yourself too.

I took a practice RC section and did awful :(. I have heard most people say that you can't improve this section because reading comprehension skill have been developing for years.

It is not true. You can improve and it won't take years. We have worked with students where English is a 2nd language or even a third and they managed to get scores high enough to get into dental school. Send a message and I will be happy to help you. You can also join our study group and get some expert advice.

Never give up your dream.

Dr. Romano

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes you can improve significantly.

I took my first full length BC exam a week before the real DAT and got less than 15 (21 out of 50 correct) and got a 21 on the real DAT. English is my second language (came to US 7 years ago) so RC was a bit hard at first. I believe having multiple good strategies is more important than your reading abilities. I didn't read scientific articles for practice at all due to time constraints and only took 4 RC practice exams. For RC section, I spent most of my time trying to figure out which RC methods worked for me and improved steadily over 4 RC exams.

Try to figure out RC strategies that work for you. BC has articles on different strategies. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, you can improve. Don't despair.

You can get better:
By reading more Scientific articles and timing yourself.
By taking more practice exams and finding a suitable strategy.
By learning the type of questions they ask and understanding your mistakes.
By being devoted to RC. 1 hour or more of your day every day till your test.
And finally

By believing in yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.