Can I reasonably apply in 1 yr?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spinto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing my first year out of undergrad in a non-clinical, biochemistry laboratory as a research tech.

GPA: 3.9 (Small liberal arts college)
sGPA: 3.7 (B+s in Physics, otherwise As)
MCAT: Not taken.
Major: Biochemistry, Communication minor
Drama, creative writing, and music ensembles in college. Tutored in Microbiology, Organic Chemistry, and Genetics and TA'd an undergraduate Chemistry 101 lab.

Am currently a church soloist, active in a semi-professional choir, and on a serious diocese event planning committee in my normal church.

Volunteering since January at hospital and Ronald McDonald house. Have a few evenings at a soup kitchen. (About 30 hrs total so far, but am leaving some music activities to focus on hospital and RMDH closer to 6-8hrs/wk)

My current volunteer position at the hospital is quality management. Moving into more direct patient contact during the summer on Peds floor.

Shadow
Pediatrician 72 hours
Pathologist 8 hrs
Have set up a shadow for summer in ENT center at hospital

Undergrad Research
10 wk summer project between junior and senior year.
1.5 years undergrad research at home college

Have personally cared for an elderly man with bone cancer as a live-in for a week, babysat a young girl with cerebral palsy every day for one summer, and have cared for a personal family member who suffered a debilitating stroke.

My patient contact in professional situations is more limited so far than in personal situations, but I want to apply next summer (2011) after volunteering in situations stated above.

I'm most interested in Baylor and Mt. Sinai, but plan to apply to smaller and state schools as well.

Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you'll be ready to apply next year. You'll have enough of the bases covered from what I see. Definitely build up more time in the nonmedical/noncampus community service over the next year and get in the hospital patient contact. All you'll need is an MCAT score to help you decide where you'll be competitive.

Perhaps there is a better place to post this question, but I have taken a Kaplan practice MCAT. This was two years ago when I was still waffling about med school and decided to register for a next day practice test, so no study time.

Total score: 29 (writing not tested)
11V, 9B, 9P

Is it known how good of a predictor the Kaplan scheduled practice tests are for actual test performance?

The practice test they give when you sign up for their course is usually difficult so they are less likely to need to honor their guarantee of a better performance on the real thing. But you hadn't signed up yet, so who can say? There is a free test link on the AMCAS website. Why not try that one for a more up-to-date prediction??