Can I send a committee letter AND other individual letters not included?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girlyMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am interviewing with the committee in a couple of months. I plan on getting a couple more LOR from a professor and a doctor I will be shadowing next semester, after I will have interviewed with the committee.

Can I have the committee letter be sent as well as sending the other individual letters I get afterward? Or is it more wise to forgo the committee and just send the individual letters?

Members don't see this ad.

If by committee letter I am assuming you mean the pre-med office's packet letter from your school, then yes..send that. Otherwise you will have to explain to the schools you applied to why you don't have one.

Sending individual letters along with the packet from your pre-med office is acceptable. Check with each individual school on their guidelines. I think the max on letters of rec is quite high though, so sending several letters is fine.

My learned friend gonnif is correct.

To specifically address the information given: OP, you having a packet letter (which counts as one letter to AMCAS) plus two outside of committee (one academic and one clinical shadowing) gives you a total of 3 AMCAS letters, which is by no means overkill since most students, I imagine, have at least one committee packet letter and one clinical shadowing letter.

Having one more academic letter, if its in fact a good letter and not just fluff, shouldn't look bad IMO. So, assuming a likely max of 3 letters per packet + the 2 outside letters gives you a conservative estimate of 5 total LoRs, which is still comfortably below the generally accepted limit of 6-7.