Can I still apply DO schools? Low MCAT score (GPA: 3.7 and 496).

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boxer2000

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just got my MCAT back yesterday and really stings bad. Was averaging higher on FL's but fell short I guess. Should I apply to a few schools and see if I can be lucky to get in? AACOMAS is verified and all LOR's are in as of now. I feel that I have good activities and solid GPA, but obviously MCAT is holding me back.

- Residence: PNW region
- GPA 3.7 / sGPA 3.56
- MCAT: 496 (122/124/124/126)
- Volunteer clinical: 550 hours with underserved populations (unique experiences)
- Paid clinical: 600 hours
- Nonclinical volunteer: 100 hours
- Shadowing: 100 hours primary care
- Research: 400 hours with multiple projects - presented poster at national conference

Wanted to apply to these schools because they dont have MCAT minimum so maybe I have a chance?
- WV
- PNWSOM
- PCOM (all)
- Marian
- New England
- VCOM (all)
- Arizona midwestern
- AT-Still Arizona

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd advise a Post Bac yr. Medicine will always be here. Study hard, get the MCAT in the 505+ range. You might get in a newer school who has not graduated a class, has not vetted their clinical rotations, has not got their curriculum and faculty up to speed, and then have trouble with GPA, boards, and matching. A.more established school is your better option. Just my thoughts. I'm not saying it's impossible to match from a new school, but matching a residency is getting harder and you want to put yourself in the best position possible.

Reactions: 1 user
You could receive interviews at some DO schools but generally you will be limited to the newer DO schools. Definitely not AZCOM. The VCOMs have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range. I suggest these schools with your stats:
PNWU-COM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
MU-COM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
ICOM
BCOM
Noorda-COM
ATSU-SOMA
UIWSOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
LUCOM
LMU-DCOM
LECOM (Erie, Seton Hill, Elmira)
KHSC-COM (new school)
WCU-COM
ACOM
The GPA-MCAT grid for DO schools shows you have a ~40% to 50% chance for an acceptance. If you apply this year apply no later than July and submit all your secondaries by August. There also new DO schools potentially opening in Orlando and 2 in Montana. Of course, you should study hard for a MCAT retake if you have not had any interviews by March but I expect you will receive interviews with your good GPA and ECs.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I probably would not apply with that score.

I’m not saying you can’t get it to a school with that score, but I am saying that it isn’t smart.

Reactions: 1 users

Sure OP can apply with a 496, which is like the bottom third of scores. There is a possibility of an acceptance, although lower than someone with a better app. It's not something I would gamble on since there is not clock running out on applying and there is plenty of time to improve the score. Also, for every 496 I have seen get 250+ steps, I can count 5 or 6 who had academic difficulties. My N is small as.we didnt take many 495s. Not something most people would gamble on.

Your MCAT score doesn't stop you from performing well in medical school or on medical board exams. However, a medical school is not going to grant a bunch of As in hope that each applicant with a 496 is very driven. If you decide to apply with that score and get accepted, just work your tail off and make adjustments where you need to moving forward.

I would just be realistic and prepare for the possibility of not getting accepted if you decide to apply this cycle.

I would not apply with that score. Why not re-take? I would apply to one throw away school where you don't want to go that way your app is verified. Even though those school say no minimum MCAT but there is always a minimum requirement. Try hard and only take it when you think you are ready. Try to hit >505.