Can I still apply in the Spring with my April 2003 mcat...BUT still take it in 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I still apply in the Spring with my April 2003 mcat...BUT still take it in 2004 and report my score after. Because the scores do not come out until mid-june, thus I could get some applications on before that. I scored a 25 the first time. What do you think -- or is that just too sneaky and uncalled for? Thanks. Any other suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Sure you can do that. On your application you will indicate which MCATs you took, regardless of whether they've been scored. Schools might wait for your new scores and will still see both scores.
The 25 may be good enough to get you in, by the way. But if you are set on retaking, best of luck.

but if I apply early, will the aacom send my 25 to the schools instead of waiting until my april mcat is scored? Isn't 25 average for most DO schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
um, by the time you get your april score the applications will be up and running. i think the apps start a couple of weeks before the score comes out.
but if you say you are re-taking, i think the schools will wait on that score regardless of the other one. BUT, having the other score does make your app complete faster, which will speed up processing. but it really is going to make like a 3 week difference. i wouldnt worry.

well my biggest concern is if I score Lower. I wish I could just release the scores I want to show. Its like an invasion of privacy to release every score. I don't know what to do.

what are you scoring on your practice exams? i would say they are pretty accurate in predicting your score, especially if you are consistent.

well i was getting around 30 on kaplan tests but ended up with a 25...so that sucked. I guess i'll study my butt off and see how I do on the aamc practice test at the end of march and then decide.

Might get in? I thought the average mcat in DO schools was a 25?

Originally posted by theDr.
Might get in? I thought the average mcat in DO schools was a 25?
It depends on the school. At TUCOM, the average is a bit over a 27, and at COMP the average for the class of 2007 was a 9.0 on each section or a 27. DO school averages are increasing, although a 25 is still a competitve score at most DO schools.

What I was meaning with the "might" wording in my previous post was, if you have a 25 you should have other things going for you such as a good GPA, great LOR and good amount of ec's.

The average can be around 25, but it has been on the rise so I am wondering what those averages will be for this application cycle.

theDr, You can definetly get in with a 25, just make sure you have a great overall application. Good luck