Can I still apply without course requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avengerz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi unfortunately for my 4th year I am unable to take the typical 2 english course requirements for a actual grade course so I'm left with a couple of options:

I have a couple of questions:

1. When applying to medical school does it matter that my 'english' requirements is a pass/fail course instead of a actual mark course?

2. If it's okay for me to take 'english' as pass or fail, which would be a better route?

Option A:
4th year summer of 2016: take MCAT May/June, will take 2 english courses [online, just have to submit essays and assignments] but will get a pass or fail credit, and also apply for medical schools in US/Canada
Fall 2016: I will be in a masters program

Option B:
4th year fall 2015 to 2016; take english 1/2 [online] during the school year on top of my other school work T_T, take MCAT June, apply for medical schools in US/Canada
Fall 2016: I will be in a masters program

plz help :) and thank you :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think all you need is to have the classes complete before you matriculate. Not having a grade in English doesn't seem nearly as bad as not yet having a grade in a science prereq like Chem or Bio. That being said, I'm not sure that you're allowed to take these classes P/F. Some schools allow you to use AP credit if you have that and some schools don't even have an English requirement.

1. I think that is going to come down to school specific requirements. You'll have to look them up on school websites.
Make sure it is okay with your school to take it pass/fail. If English is a required course for you to graduate you may not be allowed to take it pass/fail

2. I'd say option B, but that's just personal preference. I like not having class during the summer

Members don't see this ad :)
most schools require that you have pre-reqs completed before you matriculate, NOT before you apply.

I think most schools require the pre-reqs to be letter grade though