Can I still be a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brainiac225

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum,

Being a doctor is my dream, as my sister passed away when I was young of cancer and I would have done anything to have been able to save her. I admire the doctors who tried so hard, and I grew up in hospitals my entire childhood.
I started out my path in school not pursuing medicine though, and I had a rough start. I did not take school seriously and have around 5 F's, and a couple of C's on my record all that I have retaken and passed except for a Computer Science 1020 class. Since I have started my Biology bachelor's degree I have received all A's, and have found that I really excel at the major so far. I have a passion and a drive for medicine that I never saw before. Computer Science was not for me, and when I first started school I was not very mature. I am now 23 and am very serious about studying hard to become a doctor. I m currently going to community college for two years as it is the only way I can afford to go to school and will transfer to a four-year institution. Will my past failures keep me from this goal?

Members don't see this ad.

Not at all. As long as you can obtain an upward trend have your sGPA/cGPA over 3.0 and a 505+ MCAT score you should be good to go with a DO school. Keep on grinding.

GPA does matter, I will not lie. But it is not the end all be all. Mine wasn't the best, but I did show myself as well rounded. Listen to my advice here.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not at all. As long as you can obtain an upward trend have your sGPA/cGPA over 3.0 and a 505+ MCAT score you should be good to go with a DO school. Keep on grinding.
Okay, thanks. Do you think it is still possible to get into a MD school? This is what I am interested in. I know probably can’t be picky, but I am not interested much in DO.

GPA does matter, I will not lie. But it is not the end all be all. Mine wasn't the best, but I did show myself as well rounded. Listen to my advice here.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I love this! Thank you so much for sharing.

It’s not too late. Please check out Goro’s guide for reinvention which is excellent advice on how to overcome past academic blunders.
Thanks for sharing! This thread was helpful. I still have four years to go with my degree in Biology to raise my GPA, and I hope that also my story may help as well, as to why I want to pursue medicine.

Okay, thanks. Do you think it is still possible to get into a MD school? This is what I am interested in. I know probably can’t be picky, but I am not interested much in DO.
It definitely is. I wouldn't worry much about the nay sayers, you just have to feel like you can do it.

Do you want to be a doctor? DO will likely be your only option aside from in-state MD Schools if your GPA is not far above 3.0.

Do you want to be a doctor? DO will likely be your only option aside from in-state MD Schools if your GPA is not far above 3.0.
My GPA right now is at a 2.6 and I still have practically four years to go of school to raise it. I have finished one semester of my Biology degree with all A’s.

It definitely is. I wouldn't worry much about the nay sayers, you just have to feel like you can do it.
Thanks so much for the encouragement. I have a ways to go, but I am going to work incredibly hard to make my dreams come true.

My GPA right now is at a 2.6 and I still have practically four years to go of school to raise it. I have finished one semester of my Biology degree with all A’s.
My mistake, with four years of a strong upward trend you still have a shot at an MD school. Keep up the hustle and you will be just fine. Don't get bogged down in your past. Read Goro's thread, as well.

Yeah it’s possible. You just need to have a great MCAT score along with EC’s, shadowing, etc. I’m no expert so maybe someone can chime in and assist.

My freshman year, a guest lecturer for one of my classes flunked out of college and worked in fast food for several years. He went back and got his degree and is now an MD.

Some higher up in the dean's office for natural sciences at my school flunked out the first time he went to college and is now a Ph.D.

Granted, they didn't get to these places without reinventing themselves and hard work, but that's what you seem to be doing right now, so just keep working hard at it and use it as an incredible story to tell people later in life.

My mistake, with four years of a strong upward trend you still have a shot at an MD school. Keep up the hustle and you will be just fine. Don't get bogged down in your past. Read Goro's thread, as well.
Thanks for the advice. I flunked out at first because I was a smart kid who made dumb decisions. I went back for computer science and failed Comp Sci 1020 as that was not for me, but now I have finally found something I excel at! It’s a good feeling. Hope the best for you and your path.

My freshman year, a guest lecturer for one of my classes flunked out of college and worked in fast food for several years. He went back and got his degree and is now an MD.

Some higher up in the dean's office for natural sciences at my school flunked out the first time he went to college and is now a Ph.D.

Granted, they didn't get to these places without reinventing themselves and hard work, but that's what you seem to be doing right now, so just keep working hard at it and use it as an incredible story to tell people later in life.
This is very encouraging!

@Doktor_dud3 so I realized that my GPA is currently a 2.09 without my passing grades of A's factored in yet.. and I still have four years to go. Do you still think this is possible?

@Doktor_dud3 so I realized that my GPA is currently a 2.09 without my passing grades of A's factored in yet.. and I still have four years to go. Do you still think this is possible?
adcoms usually look at trends in your transcript. When they see 4 years of all As and maybe a few Bs, that will show them that you really reinvented yourself. That powerful GPA trend combined (hopefully) with a high MCAT will definitely earn you some interview invites. There are certain schools that reward reinventors as described. You are fine OP. Just concentrate on classes and start non-clinical and clinical volunteering and find a doc to shadow.

adcoms usually look at trends in your transcript. When they see 4 years of all As and maybe a few Bs, that will show them that you really reinvented yourself. That powerful GPA trend combined (hopefully) with a high MCAT will definitely earn you some interview invites. There are certain schools that reward reinventors as described. You are fine OP. Just concentrate on classes and start non-clinical and clinical volunteering and find a doc to shadow.
Thank you!! I appreciate the response. I am very passionate about this field, but sometimes I get down when I think about my past mistakes. Reassurance from people who are educated on the matter help me to build my confidence so that I can continue onward.

As Kumorebi said, work hard and consistently do well from here on out and you will have nothing to worry about. Go to your academic success center if you need to and figure out study strategies that work for you. Go to SI and tutoring, and most importantly make time for yourself.

Hello, I am new to this forum,

Being a doctor is my dream, as my sister passed away when I was young of cancer and I would have done anything to have been able to save her. I admire the doctors who tried so hard, and I grew up in hospitals my entire childhood.
I started out my path in school not pursuing medicine though, and I had a rough start. I did not take school seriously and have around 5 F's, and a couple of C's on my record all that I have retaken and passed except for a Computer Science 1020 class. Since I have started my Biology bachelor's degree I have received all A's, and have found that I really excel at the major so far. I have a passion and a drive for medicine that I never saw before. Computer Science was not for me, and when I first started school I was not very mature. I am now 23 and am very serious about studying hard to become a doctor. I m currently going to community college for two years as it is the only way I can afford to go to school and will transfer to a four-year institution. Will my past failures keep me from this goal?
read this: